Safety unit BQ77PL900 chargepump control for back to back high side NCH's MosFets

Michael Hentschel

Joined Jun 14, 2012
Hi, my name is Michael, I'm from Germany and I'm new here. :)

I need a little bit assistance with a problem regarding a safety unit with a TI BQ77PL900 that I've developed. This chip usually drives high side back to back Pch-MosFets. Due to the problems / disadvantages with PCH-MosFet's compared with NCH-MosFet's I replaced the PCH's with NCH's. The problem now is to drive the Fet's, 'cause VGS must be ca. 10 Volts higher than souce to turn them on. I solved this problem with an Supertex HT0440 using both sections of that chip to drive DCH & CHG as you can see the attached file/schematic. But tis causes problems. Staticly (via the host mode in the GUI of the BQ77PL900) everything works, dynamically, unfortunately not. The problem appears to be the HT0440. E.G. will not shut off even with over-voltage condition. Does anyone have a solution already - possibly even a discrete - for a chargepump control for back to back high side NCH's MosFets?

Attachments

praondevou

Joined Jul 9, 2011
When it does not "turn off", what are the voltages at:

A - GND
B - GND
DA - SOURCE
CA - SOURCE ?

Is the HT0440 driven with pulses, if so what frequency (A & B)?

Michael Hentschel

Joined Jun 14, 2012
Hi,
Voltages are:
A=B=Vreg1=+5VDC -> GND
CA=DA +10 to 11VDC -> Back to back Source of T1.x/T2.x

I suppose this problen has something to do with a.) the internal clock of the HT0440, and b.) that Pin 3 and 6 is tied together at the spurces of the MosFets; although input and both outputs are isolated / decoupled in the IC.
This is the ubiquitous problem of the difference between theory and practice.;)

Regards,
Mike

Michael Hentschel

Joined Jun 14, 2012
That's what the DMM shows. Meanwhile I have substituted 1x HT0440 by two (both outputs in parallel on each circuit), means one for each transistor bank. Now over voltage cutoff works, but no release so far with the BQ77PL900 at the moment. Crazy stuff this integrated circuits, means never rely on Datasheets, Applikation notes and at least not on the manufacturers. Bugs everywhere :(

Mike