Safe meter Usage: Multimeter safety basics

Jean-Marc.Zanni

Joined May 4, 2011
Great Site. A lots of good information. I tried to read all this feedback thread but it is time to get to serious work. I hope I am not duplicating something already discussed.
I did notice that a great care is taken to keep the site in a safe zone and I admire the intent. Although the experiment are design to stay at safe level, I felt that the "Safe meter usage" (http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/vol_1/chpt_3/9.html) is missing a key component. Not all multimeters are created equal. A discussion about voltage rating and so called "Category" could be of interest. At minima the section should include a disclaimer to verify that the voltage rating of the meter is consistent with the circuit being checked.
I understand that the experiment allowed on this site are at safe level and any multimeter would work, but this particular section shows examples of checking voltage or current on a regular AC plug and what look like at first an industrial electric junction box... This could be recipe for problem as some of my friend in the industrial maintenance world have found.

JM

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Are you objecting to the fact they are checking a power outlet or junction box, or to the description on how they are doing it?

Fact is, it is one of the primary uses for any meter, VOM or DVM. This was not an experiment, but a description how to use a meter safely.

The experiments are in Volume 6. This is Volume 1.

Jean-Marc.Zanni

Joined May 4, 2011
Hi Bill,
I am not ojecting to anything to the contrary.
I just think the section should mention that one should first verify the voltage rating of the multimeter before using it and the significance of the rating and possible consequences if ignored.
JM

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
Industrial can reach out a couple of feet and bite you,you might want to read our safety section.
Fort Lauderale, for real, checkout my album first day of lobster season.
Loosewire

Last edited:

someonesdad

Joined Jul 7, 2009
I think it's a good suggestion, Jean-Marc. It certainly wouldn't hurt to have a paragraph-long description of the different safety category ratings, what they mean, and what's appropriate for particular uses. It would also be appropriate to point out the variety of fuses available in commercial multimeters, along with why you would want industrial-rated fuses if you were working in an industrial environment, etc.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
I agree. The $4 meters at Harbor Freight would turn into a fireball if I used them to do what my Fluke can do. I was inspired to tell my co-workers about that when it was mentioned in a post. I had not thought to warn them before I saw that information in in a post. In fact, I could use some information on this subject! Class I, class II, stuff like that.