Rural Area Communication

Discussion in 'Wireless & RF Design' started by Ployus, Sep 16, 2013.

  1. Ployus

    Thread Starter New Member

    Sep 16, 2013
    Hi ! Pretty new to this...
    I bought a hunting camp upnorth Quebec, Canada...
    No cell phone network or anything....
    BUT, I've seen a guy making a phone call with a handled device (Some kind of chinese stuff) he didn't know nothing about it was set-up by his son but assured me it was NOT a satellite phone, but a radio thing... He had a tonality on it and was able to make calls.... I'm trying to find what it was cause I would like to get one but I'm so zero knowledge in this so far... Would appreciate a couple hints for where to start, what kind of device do I need....
    Thanks in advance to everyone !
  2. MaxHeadRoom


    Jul 18, 2013
    Before cell phone and digital technology the only way in remote areas was by FM Radio phone. This involved a small suitcase sized equipment with phone and transmitter.
    Never seen one since though!!
  3. Ployus

    Thread Starter New Member

    Sep 16, 2013
    But is there a way today to use this kind of technology to make calls on phones ??
  4. Duane P Wetick

    Senior Member

    Apr 23, 2009
    Nowadays, there are a variety of long range comms. without the use of cell phone stations. The most popular are 2-meter hand-held VHF tranceivers which can access high power repeater stations (private or commercial) which can then up-link to a phone line or even a low earth orbit satellite. Some of these will require a subscription prior to use. You should talk to someone in your area who books hunting and fishing trips...they will know.

    Cheers, DPW [ Everything has limitations...and I hate limitations.]
  5. vk6zgo

    Active Member

    Jul 21, 2012
    2 metre radios are only legal for use by licenced Amateur Radio Operators.
    Be assured that if you come up on a Ham repeater illegally,you will be "in a world of hurt" with the Licencing Authorities.