Running LEDs in series with a constant Current power supply. How did get rid of 7.2 khz noise/ripple

wrightpt

Joined May 21, 2017
168mA is typical.
May be that PSU's switching frequency is giving you the fatigue
Are you saying that i may be over driving them? In the convo from earlier. Thats one possibility it seems. I asked the tech and he said there is no way to know ultimately unless i get ahold of the specs and he does not know how to do that.

Also, i have a switching power supply and you have a linar power supply. I assume there is a difference. Will have to look at which is optimal for my situation.

Lastly i am going to take at the inductor networks you mentioned earlier. Rc and Lc i yhink. To See if i can add those to the circuit. (Am on my mobile so hard to go and look back)

Really appreciate all the input.

Patrick.

wpri268

Joined Feb 18, 2012
OK, so you have ripple voltage at 7.KHz. What is the level of it...50mV P-P? If you applied this level voltage to any LED it wont even light up. Any level ripple riding on top of your DC will have no effect. The ripple frequency doesn't matter either. Take a fluorescent light for example. They flicker at 60Hz. Can you see it....NO. While LED's will operate at high frequency currents into the MHz region, eyesight cannot respond this fast because of a physical property known as permanence of vision.

cuyler1

Joined May 27, 2015
OK, so you have ripple voltage at 7.KHz. What is the level of it...50mV P-P? If you applied this level voltage to any LED it wont even light up. Any level ripple riding on top of your DC will have no effect. The ripple frequency doesn't matter either. Take a fluorescent light for example. They flicker at 60Hz. Can you see it....NO. While LED's will operate at high frequency currents into the MHz region, eyesight cannot respond this fast because of a physical property known as permanence of vision.
would a 6volt battery in between the charger and leds' work?

cuyler1

Joined May 27, 2015
What are you talking about
i have 12volt led strip lighting and there was a tormenting flicker as the generating stations power fluctuated between 96vac to 122 vac. so i placed a 12v 7ah battery after the transformer and eliminated the flicker. these lights are in a tavern and run 24/7. they are indirect light under the bar top 64' long.

wrightpt

Joined May 21, 2017
Thanks everyone for the replies.

I figured out that it was not the leds, at least for the most part. it was the panel the leds were in. It had holes in the back, typical led panel i guess, and those holes were causing my eyes to go crazy.

I could walk across the room with the leds on and i could feel my muscles around my temple straining. but putting duck tape over the holes has helped a ton. it was night an day. my eyes couldn't handle the light coming throught the holes in the back of the panel. Even when not looking at the panel. super sad but im not getting down about it. I also color calibrated my monitor with a less intense color profile and that helped. Only a single gamma in the profile. Didnt know that was possible but thankfully stumbled upon that.

Next, I think I am going to get a cooler color of leds, these have a very blue tint to them which is very attractive at first but tends to dry my eyes out. So hard to find leds in series that are not out of a back panel of a tv. but think i may have finally.

I found it very interesting what wpri268 mentioned earlier about the noise riding on top of the current. That makes me feel much better even though i think i understand it but have not really dove in deep to really understand. however, it makes me feel more in the clear though.

Last edited:

wrightpt

Joined May 21, 2017
This is so good to read. i love the sound of ripple not invading my LEDs. these lights have grown on me and I find that I want to use them in other rooms that I spend a lot of time in.

I am not sure about the region of the ripple. "50mV P-P" is completely foreign to me.

The TV tech may know but after measuring 7.2 khz, he said that is basically no noise. he was not very helpful in digging deeper into it.

I looked up FC and RC filters or high frequency and lower frequency filter. From what I read briefly it seems 30 khz is where low frequency starts. I was pretty surprised by that but whatever, i mean. Can DC voltage exist to a level where the electric gods admire its purity. I had no idea it would be such a task to get lights that allow me to stair at a screen for many hours in modernity. of course i may be looking at it the wrong way.

Moral of the story for me, when using CC led light in series, put them in an aluminum channel with a diffuser if possible.

I may try another power supply. but honestly could not find one unless i got a bench top or linear one like R!f@@ mentioned earlier.

Cheers, heres to incredible light that allows humans to live indoors and not feel the effects of such things artificial light brings.
Until next time.

Crazy mood this morning . Thanks for letting me rant.