Running a microwave on a car battery with the engine running - will the alternator blow up?

LMF5000

Joined Oct 25, 2017
And food will taste the hell of a lot better than microwaved ...
Well yeah, but sometimes you just want to reheat leftovers fast - and what takes a few seconds in the microwave would need at least several minutes with any other method and then requires washing up the pan or the grill or whatever the food touches

LMF5000

Joined Oct 25, 2017
You can get a high output alternator for your car. Probably depends what car you have but just Google "high output alternator for ___your car___." I put a 320A alternator in my last truck.

Know that an alternator will not put out its rated amps at idle. I think they redline the engine to get the advertised number. My "320A" alternator think couldn't even do 100A at idle, so a typical factory 60A alternator might not deliver more than 20-30A at idle, not sure, never tested it. Google "output curve" for any particular alternator you might be interested in.
Thanks for the suggestion. I looked, no such thing seems to exist for the Alfa MiTo, and if it did I suspect it wouldn't be much cheaper than a standalone super cheap 2000W generator so the latter would likely be the way to go.