Running a 12v fan off 5v USB?

jayuk20

Joined Jul 5, 2013
This is not to be plugged into a PC USB port but into a USB wall plug that you get with mobile phones.

I've got 3 5v fans but they are so loud and when the 12v is running on 5v USB it generates enough airflow at the slower speed and is super quiet, perfect for my needs. The only question is.... is there likely to be any type of safety hazed?

jayuk20

Joined Jul 5, 2013
The fan I have now is an xbox 360 fan and says the following:

DC12v
0.40A
-9F15

The charger says

Input: 100-240v ~ 0.3A (Max.) 50/60hz
Output: 5.0V ---- 1.5A

jayuk20

Joined Jul 5, 2013
OK so am I correct in thinking that the mobile charger can take 1.5A meaning the fan will require less current than the charger is actually able to provide?

studiot

Joined Nov 9, 2007
OK so am I correct in thinking that the mobile charger can take 1.5A meaning the fan will require less current than the charger is actually able to provide?
Yes indeed your supply can provide more current than the fan requires.

Two things about this.

Firstly this is true of pretty well all electrical sources - the source determines the voltage (5 in your case) and the load determines the current (probably 0.2 - 0.3 amps in your case).

However an electric motor relies on its speed generating a 'back emf' to limit the current. This is why the stall current is so high.

So you should make sure your fan is kept clean and obstruction free so it never stalls as the 5 volt supply can probably supply enough current to burn it out.

go well

THE_RB

Joined Feb 11, 2008
Putting a series resistor with the fan will only drop a few percent of the running voltage, but can greatly reduce the startup and stall currents. If stalling will be an issue.

Shagas

Joined May 13, 2013
Does anyone know if these new brushless DC fans have internal protection circuitry ?
I have a few 12 volt Pc fans and from the gap I can see some components in it . I don't want to take them apart yet because they are new and >10 bucks each but my curiosity probably won't hold out much longer

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
David, you have resurrected a 2-year old thread. The original poster (OP) has probably lost interest by now.
Google "USB current limit".