running 24v from an arduino?

matelot

Joined Apr 15, 2013
I am updating a monitor board (by building a new one) that consists of lots of LEDs (around 60).
The board runs from a 24 volt circuit so all the LED's will have 1.2Kohm resistors in series.
I want to be able to build a test unit to plug onto the board and run it with an arduino.
The arduino works on 5v.

Even if I use a number of shift registers (I have enough experience of writing arduino software to drive shift registers) I will still need some way of increasing the output to 24v.
Is it possible to do this with NPN's (I have plenty of C945's) or other NPN/PNPs (I have lots of old boards that are populated with various transistors)?
Alternatively could I do it with FET's?

If not is there any other way I could do it in solid state? If I use relays I will have to buy them (more than 60) and the size of the test unit will be bigger than the board itself.
I have experience of making printed circuit board and building small circuits.

I know I could run it from 5v and the LED's would show up dimly but I would like to build the circuit.

Thanks,
Bob.

matelot

Joined Apr 15, 2013
thank you #12 I will try those and let you know.

sometimes enggricha I am suprised how little people read before posting.

Rich (BB code):
Is it possible to do this with NPN's (I have plenty of C945's) or other NPN/PNPs (I have lots of old boards that are populated with various transistors)?

Joined Nov 30, 2010
enggricha was trying to tell you that you can get several transistor in a dip package. They take up a lot less space on the circuit board.