RS232 Serial Input/Output

mystame

Joined Dec 6, 2013
Hiya,
I've created myself a task of creating a "Cart Control" to play music on a DJ software package that uses RS232 (COM1) interface on my PC, see below for what PC is expecting, my question is what do I need to create a circuit board that will allow me to do this?

this will be my first circuit board and really don't know where the start, but can say...

• "Cart Control" is a momentary push button
  • "Player Display" will be a LED (possibly fitted in switch)
  • will be connected to PC via serial port
Many Thanks in advance....

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
The way a problem like this is solved. Is by using some sort of microcontroller application. You can get readymade controller board quite cheap. And then it will be up to you to do the programming

mystame

Joined Dec 6, 2013
I'm quite happy to design a PCB, but have no experience of programming an IC, I know it needs Ground, TX and RX for serial connection, 4 inputs (momentary push switch's) and 4 outputs (LED's), I'm not even sure what sort of IC I'll need to use...

any help would be great...

tshuck

Joined Oct 18, 2012
A microcontroller is the usual go to for such a task. Since you aren't well versed in using them, to get this project done, I'd recommend you use an Arduino (it is a microcontroller that uses a user-friendly interface/programming language to abstract away the need to know the inner workings of a microcontroller).

Most microcontroller families have hardware UART capabilities that interfaces rather easily with the serial port, though the signals from the RS-232 are not tolerant to microcontrollers, so, you'll need a converter of some sort (e.g. MAX232).

There are USB to serial converters for pretty cheap that emulate (to the computer) a serial port connection that can be used (by software) in the same manner as the actual serial port. This is a little more future proof than using the serial port, but it's your show...

Edit: Something like this

Last edited:

shteii01

Joined Feb 19, 2010
There are USB to serial converters for pretty cheap that emulate (to the computer) a serial port connection that can be used (by software) in the same manner as the actual serial port. This is a little more future proof than using the serial port, but it's you're show...
What they said.
A USB hookup to PC, nice, easy, trouble free.

mystame

Joined Dec 6, 2013
Hiya,
thanks for your replies...

I'm looking at serial vs USB as its held in by thumb screws and PC is mounted in a flight case, that maybe several meters away.

whatever i create needs to be seen as a "RS232 based controller" to software...

Do you know anyone who could program a PIC for me?

also is there a program that can act as a virtual com port and report what commands are being sent out to it?

tshuck

Joined Oct 18, 2012
whatever i create needs to be seen as a "RS232 based controller" to software...
On what side?

Do you know anyone who could program a PIC for me?
You can do it.

also is there a program that can act as a virtual com port and report what commands are being sent out to it?
Basically any USB to TTL/UART converters available for very cheap on Ebay and elsewhere...

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
Maybe you don't need to program anything if all you need is a logic level to drive your cart machine in response to a command via USB or Serial.

There are chips that take in USB and output logic levels that can be used to do things directly. There are also chips that do that with RS-232. No programming required at the peripheral end, but the host software needs to know which bits to set in the peripheral.

And while at it, how about using a parallel printer port?