RS232 communication

chudiandeyu

Joined Oct 26, 2010
Hello
I am now using a RS232 to communicate a hand held scanner with a PC, but I don't know what should I do to read the signal from RS232. Do i have to install any software to get the signal? Or It would show automatically?I connected it but the computer did not give any reaction. then I used a 232 analysis program, but it always shown CTS Turned ON/ CTS Turned OFF. what does this mean?
When you are connecting something via RS232, how did you read the signal from computer?what programming you are using?
Thanks!!

BMorse

Joined Sep 26, 2009
I usually write a small application in Visual Basic for that, but if you just want to test the incoming data, use Hyperterminal or some similar terminal program to view the data the scanner is sending through, just make sure the baud rate and other settings are set correctly in the terminal program to communicate with scanner, for most, default setting for the serial interface is 9600 baud rate, none parity, and 8 data bit.

chudiandeyu

Joined Oct 26, 2010
@BMorse
Thanks, i tried Hyperterminal this morning, but it didn't show the barcode(i am scanning a barcode) but only show question marks(?)... do you know what might be the problem and how can i solve it?

BMorse

Joined Sep 26, 2009
@BMorse
Thanks, i tried Hyperterminal this morning, but it didn't show the barcode(i am scanning a barcode) but only show question marks(?)... do you know what might be the problem and how can i solve it?

It sounds like you have the wrong BAUD rate set for Hyperterminal, try switching the baud rates and see which one works....

chudiandeyu

Joined Oct 26, 2010
It sounds like you have the wrong BAUD rate set for Hyperterminal, try switching the baud rates and see which one works....
Hey :) I have another question, do you know how can I make the computer to read the scanned data from HyperTerminal automatically?

BMorse

Joined Sep 26, 2009
for example is there any way to convert hyperterminal file to text? then i can read it in some other program.
There is no command line commands for running hyperterminal, you can sit there scan a barcode and export it manually into a text file, but that is about it......

Most Microsoft Office applications have the Serial Port ActiveX available to where you can read the data right into an Excel spread sheet for example....

http://strokescribe.com/en/read-serial-port-excel-2007.html