RPi subsitute for controlling devices over network

bcrispin

Joined Apr 12, 2013
Hi all,

I'm trying to build a device running Linux to autonomously send commands out over a network to various other devices (like Global Cache units and IP controlled devices).

The Raspberry Pi looks like it would be more than sufficient, but it also has a lot of extra functionality that would be great to cut off if I can.

Basically, all I *think* I would need is an SBC with ethernet port, some memory, and a reasonable processor. Are there any devices out there like that? Or is the Pi, with all it's extra goodness, the best, most affordable option?

Thanks!

BMorse

Joined Sep 26, 2009
If you are just looking for an "out of the box" solution, the RasPi would probably be the best option for you, although it may seem overkill with all it's other functionality, but it is usually better to have "more than what you need" just in case you decide to add some other functionality to your project, plus it saves you time and headaches from having to "re invent the wheel" so to speak.

Or you can choose a Pic Microcontroller, and one of Microchip's standalone ethernet controller IC's, and do everything from scratch.