Role of Slew rate and Gain-Bandwidth Product in OPAMP selection

mishra87

Joined Jan 17, 2016
Hello All,

If I have to select opamp for any application what all basic technical parameters I need to check before finalizing part.

1. A higher/lower Slew Rate would be preferable and why ???
2. What is impact of GBW(Gain Bandwidth Product) in opamp and how to decide this for any particular application.
A higher/lower GBW would be preferable and why ???

LM358 -
GBW- 700KHz
SR- 0.6V/uS

Or

GBW- 1MHz
SR- 0.1V/uS

Which one in above two is preferable and why.

These answer really meant to me.
Thanks in Advance !!!

Last edited:

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
Hi,

GB product lowers steady state error.

Slew rate allows higher frequency and amplitude signals to be amplified.

The slew rate is usually given in volts per microsecond.

mishra87

Joined Jan 17, 2016
I don't understand has this thread been moved in some others forum if it belongs to Analog and mixed design .

It's part of design not homework.

Regards,

Last edited:

mishra87

Joined Jan 17, 2016
Could anybody respond this thread. It would really appreciate if somebody answer my above questions.

Thanks !!!

AnalogKid

Joined Aug 1, 2013
There is not one answer that applies to all situations. You have given us zero information about what you are trying to achieve.

ak

OBW0549

Joined Mar 2, 2015
Do you know what the slew rate specification for an op amp means? Do you know what GBW (Gain-Bandwidth Product) means? If you do, then the answers to your questions should be rather straightforward-- even obvious.

If you don't, try some reading online to learn the meanings of these terms. You can start here and here.

And PLEASE don't start multiple threads on the same subject, just because you didn't get enough responses the first time. It annoys people.

mishra87

Joined Jan 17, 2016
There is not one answer that applies to all situations. You have given us zero information about what you are trying to achieve.

ak
I want to understand these two basic parameters so that I am able to select an opamp.

Kindly do consider me beginner in opamp.

1. What is SR and its impact.
2. What is GBW and it's impact .

OBW0549

Joined Mar 2, 2015
I want to understand these two basic parameters so that I am able to select an opamp.
Then put forth some effort, and READ the paper @bertus posted as well as the Wikipedia articles I linked to. They give good explanations of slew rate and GBW. Googling these two terms gives plenty of other good information, also.