Role of MATLAB and C Language in Automotive System

Kittu20

Joined Oct 12, 2022
I've been trying to understand how automotive engineers utilize MATLAB and C language in vehicle development, but I'm still unclear on the process.

Let's say we have a simple task, such as developing a system to turn on/off head lights using a button, and we're using MATLAB and C language.

I want to grasp the roles of MATLAB and C in this scenario. Do we write the C code directly in MATLAB, or do we create a model in MATLAB that generates the C code? Then, does this C code get compiled into an executable file that runs on the vehicle's hardware?

Essentially, I'm looking clarification on the overall process and how MATLAB and C language fit into it. Any insights or guidance would be greatly appreciated to help me understand the process better. Thank you!

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
AFAIK Matlab has no understanding of code written in C, so that is a non-stater. Have you actually done anything with either language?

Your example of a button and a headlight is more likely to be a network communication problem rather than one that assumes home-run wiring. Your question might have been appropriate some 2-3 decades ago. Things have gotten way more complicated in that time.

Kittu20

Joined Oct 12, 2022
AFAIK Matlab has no understanding of code written in C, so that is a non-stater. Have you actually done anything with either language?

Your example of a button and a headlight is more likely to be a network communication problem rather than one that assumes home-run wiring. Your question might have been appropriate some 2-3 decades ago. Things have gotten way more complicated in that time.
I appreciate your insights. I have knowledge with c language, hence my inquiry to better understand roles of MATLAB and C language in automotive development.

I'm trying to understanding how tasks are accomplished using MATLAB and C language in automotive development.
Could you provide more detail on specific examples or scenarios

Last edited:

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
I appreciate your insights. I have knowledge with c language, hence my inquiry to better understand roles of MATLAB and C language in automotive development.

I'm trying to understanding how tasks are accomplished using MATLAB and C language in automotive development.
Could you provide more detail on specific examples or scenarios
Matlabs strong point is matrix manipulation. It is very useful in solving linear programming problems with constraints. This kind of optimization problem is often used at the planning stages of development or plant construction to game out various alternative strategies.