Rodin Starship coils

PackratKing

Joined Jul 13, 2008
If you have access to Boob-Tube [ Youtube ] Google is your friend...

> I don't, 'cuz I refuse to submit to their ad-laden 'adobe flash player' <

Metalmann

Joined Dec 8, 2012
"I was asking because after searching I came up with a load of conflicting advice and styles."

That's the Nature of the Beast.;)

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Install the adblock add-on for your browser. It removes all ads from youtube videos. I've been using it for a few years now and haven't seen a youtube ad in ages!
Agreed!
With Firefox I see virtually nothing and considering the amount of material and movies of all descriptions on Utube it is worth the odd ad that slips in.
Max.

GM11

Joined Sep 8, 2013
Little Ghostman... :( My Bad... I'm supposed to be old enough to know better... Humble apologies...
I wouldnt worry about it, my son is just getting used to everyone here, i dont think he meant to come across like that, he has a humour that on occasion dosnt come across well in writing! but i can assure you he took no offense!
he will no doubt explain fully in the morning what he is trying to do! why he cant just wind a simple coil and be done with it is a mystery to me :D
kids:rolleyes:

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
I wouldnt worry about it, my son is just getting used to everyone here, i dont think he meant to come across like that, he has a humour that on occasion dosnt come across well in writing! but i can assure you he took no offense!
he will no doubt explain fully in the morning what he is trying to do! why he cant just wind a simple coil and be done with it is a mystery to me :D
Quite a perfectionist you're raising there, GMan. That's not a bad thing. It'll get him far in the real world, provided he gets the right sort of job. As a child I was always a perfectionist, I could never leave good enough alone, I always had to try to make it better. When you get to the electronics (software, hardware, etc) side of things, you begin to learn that good enough is never "good enough". Provided LG doesn't allow it to consume his time and prevent him from finishing a project by the deadline, it'll give him a huge step up in the real world. :)

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
I disagree about your humor comment. I was laughing hysterically at the ultra-low temper thrashing he rolled out as I thought, no way is this OP only 13-years-old. Now that I hear he is your son, and you verify the age, I say, "way to own the Asbergers, kid". I love it.

Little Ghostman

Joined Jan 1, 2014
I have a thin plastic globe, thats almost see through apart from the countries, so I might glue those thin fridge magnets inside along the equator, then somehow mount some of these very small (less than 3cm across) , around the outside and mounted on clear acrylic. I will probably have to add some form of speed detection, as I want a slow revolution.
The push pull thing is for better control, I will use opamps for the globe distance control, but probably a pic for everything else, if I can I would really like to add inductive coupling inside the globe, so I can light it up from the inside! now that would be cool! But I can se problems with magnetic fields crossing and messing up the hall sensors, worse case I might have to resort to IR positioning :(

Little Ghostman

Joined Jan 1, 2014
Hello LG,

Here I found a webpage on how to make one (including the math behind it):
http://www.firepinto.com/fr_rodin_math.html

To me it looks like some "spirograph" drawing:
http://images.search.yahoo.com/sear...8x?_adv_prop=image&fr=altavista&va=spirograph

Bertus

BERTUS you are a genius!! spirograph!! mum has a very old one, I knew i recognized the pattern but could place it!
thanks for the links, what I am now thinking is, the most important part is the middle and the fact it is pretty much a circle. So if that is the case then in theory i could use the Spirograph thingy and make a coil pretty much any shape, so long as the center remains close to being a circle!! that would open up all kinds of possible coil shapes that look unusual but still function as a coil :D.
Soon as i have this bit done I can go build my magic car from two coils made from wood! it does work ive seen it on youtube so it must be true :rolleyes:.
While looking for how these coils are made i came across a video of a guy thats made a over unity generator! his reasoning being that the battery is nine volts but near to the motor his DMM reads nearly 30!! imagine that!! you put 9V in and right near the motor you get a magic 30V from nowhere :D Sorry but I didnt have the heart to post a comment under his vid and explain back EMF or that really he should have a flyback diode :rolleyes:, can you imagine how his face gonna drop when he finds out why there are higher volts near the motor!! or he might be overjoyed to discover not only can you get 30V for free but also some white smoke thrown in as well :eek:
anyway back to the maths.
The more I look at coils in general the more I am sure I can do whatever shape I want as long as the centre is round, also while posting this I got mums spiro thing out, and you are 100% correct, one of the patterns fit exactly!!!
So maybe Mr rodin didnt invent this after all ;), anyway time to go read those links and play with the spiro thingy, errr i mean experiment