Robotics

Jotto

Joined Apr 1, 2011
My son is in a gifted program. They are working with robotics and I have some l motors and other stuff here at work that I save but will never use.

I am trying to come up with something for him to play around with and experiment with.

Any ideas?

Thanks Jim

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
Do they have combat robotics in your area? I used to be very into it myself.
what ever happened to that show battlebots? I used to love that show but I was too young to afford anything to make a bot. I really wanted to be on that show. I think it would still be cool now, but the show isn't around anymore to my knowledge. Are you saying there are local coabmt robot competitions? can you post a link?
thanks
charlie

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
They did a new Battle Bots show not too long ago, but it was a pay per view channel.

There are still lots of clubs out there, and some big events scattered across the country. If you are interested you can still participate.

The club in Dallas folded. Basically too many egos when we built a big arena, but it started small, with a class called ant weights (1 pound or less). Many a modified toy has died on the field of battle.

Jotto

Joined Apr 1, 2011
what kind of motors?
Many different types of motors and servos. I take parts out of old slot machines and there are many different motors and electronic parts that I take out.

Also have been pulling the motors out of ATM equipment.

Jotto

Joined Apr 1, 2011
He's the gifted one.. Just give him the parts and let him come up with something :)
Yes true, but I don't think I will allow him to do this alone for the time being since he is not trained in safety. I remember me playing with electricity and taking the power out of my grandparents apartment.

Sparky49

Joined Jul 16, 2011
Not exactly robotics...

but you could make a cool drawing tool.

It's kinda hard for me to explain, so I've drawn a diagram for you.

With the motor offset from the centre of the board, it will result in ovals being drawn. Varying the distance will change the oval.

If he wants to go further, try making a cradle for the pen to dangle from. He can then control it by using the motor. For different axis, he'll have to turn it around himself...

Unless he puts this cradle on wheels which is moved by another motor.

Attachments

JingleJoe

Joined Jul 23, 2011
Yes true, but I don't think I will allow him to do this alone for the time being since he is not trained in safety. I remember me playing with electricity and taking the power out of my grandparents apartment.
Train him in safety, give him the motors! When I was little my pride and joy was a big geared motor from a children's motorized bike, so naturally my mum threw it away :(

If they are mains powered though I would not give them to a child, see what voltage they run off, perhaps he could power them with some D or C batteries in series?

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Ever notice that tweezers are the perfect size and shape to fit an outlet?. My first electronics experiment was sticking a pair of tweezers into an outlet.:eek: I can't recommend it.

I second the advice to train on safety - not just the details but the philosophy of proceeding carefully and thoughtfully at all times, expecting nature's cruel worst around every corner - and then turn him loose. Sort of. I mean, he doesn't need to be playing with 1 HP motors and such that are both electrical and mechanical hazards.