Robotic Drums - Driving Solenoid from MIDI

lholze

Joined Apr 9, 2009
I'm trying to find the correct components to drive fairly powerful solenoids (click for solenoid specs), and trigger them from MIDI messages. My idea was to use this lighting controller (http://www.mediamat.com/lightmaster.htmlclick for controller) , run the AC output through a rectifier and send that on to the solenoid. But the lighting controller is only to be used with resistive loads. I don't know if I can get around this with a snubber or not. There are a multitude of boards and kits for decoding MIDI and tripping relays, but I can't seem to find a set of components for safely driving a solenoid of this size.
:confused:
Thanks

lholze

Joined Apr 9, 2009
The goal is to match the speed and dynamics of a real drummer. That means that two consecutive notes might be as close as 50 ms apart, but there wouldn't be a long series that were that close together. Overall, the average duty cycle would be pretty low: 2-4 times/second on something that gets used often like the hi-hat, but there could be "flurries". As for dynamics, a real drummer can go from very soft to very loud, but very soft is unusual in rock, so that would be a secondary goal. MIDI allows for 128 volume levels, which would be ideal, but I think quarter of that (32 levels) is fine, as long as there is sufficient range.

Thanks

Bernard

Joined Aug 7, 2008
I used a Ledex rotary solenoid early'70's, to dial a rotary dial telephone, but could'nt find it in my junk box, just wanted to get re-aquanted with it. Look in on kiel long Chat for electro-magnet drive, similar.

Bernard

Joined Aug 7, 2008
'found Ledex solenoid and mounted it on a "drum". Beats soft, and beats loud, have not tested for max rep. rate yet, looks good so far, around 20 beats/sec. Presently using capactive discharge, 200μF, soft; 2200μF loud.
Ledex nos. 810-362-330, could find no inf. but someone has one in stock. About 35mm dia. 20mm thick , might be smaller than yours, but something to work with.; also 17Ω. Drum # 10 can.drum stick,100mm mounted to armature with 3 2-56 screws.

Bernard

Joined Aug 7, 2008
Problem: control sound level by varing pulse width. Connected up 555 to give 5ms-100ms & rep. of 30 pps- .5pps. 555 drives a C2810 , 700V, 12A transistor. verry little difference in sound from just enough pulse width to strike drum to keep stick in contact with drum. Next trial will vary ??, already tried varing current with variable series resistors, poor control.

Bernard

Joined Aug 7, 2008
Last reply. Here is an outline for a binary controlled sound level, solenoid driver. Values to be adjusted to fit solenoid used. For large value caps. it may be necessary to use an active discharge to keep rep. rate up, ie another set of MOSFETS.

Attachments