ringing a phone

jarwulf

Joined Jul 7, 2013
I'm currently in progress on connecting an old phone to an arduino. I'm managed to get the dial and audio portions working but the part that keeps eluding me is how to make the bell ring. There doesn't seem to be any noncomplicated solution documented out there. The standard reference everybody is given is the sparkfun ringer from back in 2005 which involves sourcing a lot of possibly out of production parts and soldering. The explanation and diagrams provided also are not elaborated enough for someone like me to work with and how to interface it with the arduino is an additional thing I'd have to hash out myself.

I was wondering if there was an simpler 'drop in' solution I can use. A purchaseable board that can be triggered to convert arduino 3.3V or so to whatever Voltage and hertz necessary to drive the phone bell. (the references say its 90V AC overlaid on 48V DC at 20HZ)

I've come across pictures that seem to be doing just that

This guy appears to be driving a phone bell without even boosting the voltage to anywhere near what you are supposed to or even converting it to AC with simply a single prefabricated board. Unfortunately I haven't yet gotten in contact with him. Any suggestions? I really want to be careful not to destroy what I have with a mistake.

inwo

Joined Nov 7, 2013
I have a ringer module somewhere.
If I find it, I'll try to source it.

Otherwise an ac wall wart should work if you pump a 20hz signal in.

jarwulf

Joined Jul 7, 2013
Right where I thought it should be.:)

And it's magic....................:eek:

thanks. I'll have to look into the input but this is a definite step in the right direction. And here I was thinking I'd have to chase down a zillion exotic parts.

jarwulf

Joined Jul 7, 2013
ANybody know where I could get a 5 or 3.3V input version? I know I could add a voltage booster but space is sort of limited. These things really seem to be rare birds.

inwo

Joined Nov 7, 2013
Wasn't able to find my source.
Seems I tried a couple years ago.
Found an old email, where I had asked a company about it.
Must have been from a swap fest. Wish I had bought a few of them.

The manufacturer is, http://www.camblab.com/home.htm

Let us know the cost if you contact them.
Also ask if they work on less than the rated 5 volts.

BReeves

Joined Nov 24, 2012
I would think it would be pretty easy to do with a 555 and transformer but haven't tried it. Last phone system I played with was between my shop and the house. I used old crank phones with batteries. Now we just call each other on our cell phones.