Ribbon connector part?

Razor Concepts

Joined Oct 7, 2008
I have this ribbon cable connector that came from a CD rom drive motor. Any ideas on where I can find the part number for the connector (black thing on PCB) or one that is compatible?

11-conductor cable, pitch is slightly smaller than 0.05". The cable says "AWM E414447-HCJ 2896 VW-1"

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
Does it have to be identical...Looks like a "ZIF" (or FFC/FPC) connectors from Hirose, TE, Molex, FCI, JST, or Samtec

colinb

Joined Jun 15, 2011
Like mcgyvr said, it's an FFC/FPC receptacle. You'll need to precisely measure the pin pitch. Ideally you would use precision caliper measurement device and measure the distance from the left edge of the far-left pin to the left edge of the far-right pin, then divide this by 10 to get the contact pitch, like this:

Measuring 10x and then dividing by 10 to get x will give you a much more precise result. It's probably 1 mm pitch if you think it's slightly less than 0.050".

colinb

Joined Jun 15, 2011
Does it have to be identical...Looks like a "ZIF" (or FFC/FPC) connectors from Hirose, TE, Molex, FCI, JST, or Samtec
Actually I don't think it is a zero insertion-force receptacle. I don't see a lever to lock it, so it may be a standard insertion type receptacle instead.

Lundwall_Paul

Joined Oct 18, 2011
I would call Newark Mouser Digi-Key Allied... Discuss emailing them the pictures they most likely return a call within 24 hours. They are all easy to work with and have reasonable prices. The hard part may be finding someone who is good at soldering SMT devices.

colinb

Joined Jun 15, 2011
I doubt you need to email them a picture. You just need to find out the contact pitch and then you can likely find the right receptacle. It's easy to order a couple of the connectors from a couple of manufacturers to see if one works better than the other, but in general selection is pretty simple.

Soldering the SMT part will be a piece of cake if have done any electronics soldering at all. Having some liquid or paste flux in a syringe (or solder paste) will be helpful but not necessary. Just place the connector on the footprint, tack down the two opposite end pads, and solder the rest.

The drag soldering technique can be used for fine pitch devices, but 1.0 mm is not terribly fine, depending on your soldering iron tip and solder wire size.