RFID Tag - How to Read

mossman

Joined Aug 26, 2010
I'm attempting to read an H4100 RFID tag using a Red Bee reader and am not having any luck. I have no problem reading the tags that came with the Red Bee, but it will not read mine. I believe they are within the same frequency range (125 kHz to 134.2 kHz). Regardless, I would think the Red Bee would be able to demodulate the signal because the data rate is a multiple of the carrier frequency (RFID tag is passive and uses incoming RF signal as a clock). The Red Bee uses an EM4095 transceiver IC for receiving AM signals. I am observing the DEMOD_OUT pin and can see the information change when the tag is put within proximity of the reader, but the data is incoherent (varying bit widths, not repeatable, etc.). I suppose the tag could be bad.

Last edited:

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
If at all possible, definitely try a different tag to test the possibility that the one you have is damaged.

hi,

it should automatically read it but as you cited one problem, varying bit widths, it detected it but most likely the rfid tag may have different bit width not compatible to be read by RedBee, or rfid tag may be busted. try a similar one, to test if RedBee cannot read those types of rfid tags or it is really busted.