RFID - tag detector and RFID-Zapper on my new Youtube Channel

Post_Apocalyptic_Inventor

Joined Feb 17, 2014
Hey There Guys.
You might not know me cause I stayed in the background as of today. Forums are usually not my kinda thing, but I think this is the right place to spread what I want to show people.

I'm into electrical engineering since my childhood and I'm building up circuits for around 15 years. I've spent the last year building up my new lab and have started recording some of my projects on camera since last summer. Just a few days ago i decided to finally upload some of the videos to Youtube. As of today 10 Videos are online on my new electronics-channel "The_Post_Apocalyptic_Inventor". These videos took many hundrets of hours to make. Its not your average "shaky cam 240p no effort what so ever kinda video style" (if you know what I mean ;P ).
8 of the 10 videos I uploaded so far are RFID-related projects:

"Hidden RFID-tags in Your Everyday Life" is a video which I made after discovering a hidden RFID-tag in a sweater that i had just bought. In the video I also explain the principle workings of RFID:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPoLq5rI1bA

"The RFID tag detector" is a detector with which you can determin if 13,56 MHz-RFID tags are hidden in Your stuff. The whole project has 4 Videos and goes into a lot of details of how to build the entire device.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Id68OFLSuzg

"The RFID Zapper" is a mobile device which is capable of "zapping" (destroying) RFID-tags. 3 Videos deal with it. 2 of the videos are quiet theoretical but explain the idea and the workings of the circuit as well as some basics about boost converters in great detail.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_Nsf0uU8IY

I hope that You don't think that I use this forum simply to promote my stuff. I really want people to know about RFID and that it has some implications you simply should be aware of. I'm also working on numerous videos at the time and a lot of stuff will come up on my channel soon. Most of it will be about switched mode power supplies, home made wind turbines, repairs, reverse engineering projects, welding machines, but also tutorials to different stuff. But all that stuff has an implicit massage that is more important than myself: "Know your electronics to live in a world of ever growing complexity (and surveillance) , be self sufficient and reuse things that are viewed as garbage by others(which helps save the planet) !"

So I hope that some of you guys find the time to watch some of the videos and tell me what you thinkg. On Youtube or right here...

Kind regards and greetings to all the members.

The_Post_Apocalyptic_Inventor

takao21203

Joined Apr 28, 2012
What does alienate you more-

1. Microchips implanted into animals (already happening) or even people (not yet)

2. Barcodes tattoed to people especially of special population groups such as convictions or STD

3. Saccharine in products fooling people's brains

With some effort I could write 50 topics of that kind easily.

You seem to implementing some ideas propagated by RMS (Stallman).

Long writing put short: Why not put all your info on a blog + contribute here with on-topic discussions, and by answering topical questions?

It's OK for a one-off post, for instance for the purpose to introduce yourself, but if such posts accumulate on the forum, even in the off-topics, it could drift towards political discussion.

It is not clear to me if RFID zapping is legal, and even discussing that could become political.

100s of hours efforts NOT THAT 240p DONT CARE VIDs of YKWIM making? Not really totally clear to me. I deleted youtube channels sometimes even with 100 videos, because in the meanwhile, it was no longer useful.

What true for me is not necessarily true for others.

Kermit2

Joined Feb 5, 2010
I second the creation of a blog here at AAC.

As for that other stuff just mentioned... uh... answer if you want to; otherwise, welcome aboard.

takao21203

Joined Apr 28, 2012
Aren't they used for theft prevention?

And how many people will ultimatively build such devices + carry them around all day.

So it's kind of a steampunk, even if the video is good resolution and the circuits not looking to bad.

Maybe you read negativity into my post but there is not really it- I don't care that much about it.

On the channel there are only RFID videos.

Well with google+, you already have a blog + communities to tap, some have 1000s of members.

Joined Feb 17, 2014
Hello. Again. Nice to be welcomed (at least by some ;P ).

Well it's maybe right that not many people might go in building the detector device. The videos shows my way of making it maybe in too much detail. That's why the videos about the zapper concentrates more in the thought process and the working principals behind the circuit used.
Why would it be illegal to zap rfid-tags (as long as they are yours)?! Destroying RFID tags that don't belong to you would of course not be legal. But I do not encourage anyone to do that.
Most of the tags are used in the warehouses to make the distribution and management of millions of articles easier. Using them just to prevent shoplifting is a little bit of a technological overkill, because there are simpler ways to secure items in a shop ( for example acousto-magnetic tags) Those work just as fine for that purpose. Only that they have no "smart capabilities". They just work on plane physics.

takao21203

Joined Apr 28, 2012
well I see, just for demonstration, and research.

Impressive, one PCB I saw with a number of small coils.

Maybe you could try microcontrollers, if you didn't already.

Joined Feb 17, 2014
I think I will take up your suggestion and start a blog. I also do understand your concerns about propagating certain ideas. I also know that knowledge can be misused for all the wrong purposes. I made some of the videos already a while back and I didn't upload them earlier exactly because of that reason. I also did not come here to start political discussions and I hate it myself that there is one under every second youtube video no matter what is the topic of that video. I you know what I mean :D

I think you suggested using a microcontroller because the project seems to be very old school :). It is indeed. But you couldn't use a microcontroller to replace any of the functional units in the circuit. A normal micro (like let's say ATmega8) is not capable of generating a stable 13,56 MHz oscillation. All other parts (linear regulators, opamp, RF-Amplifier and LC-Filters cannot be replaced by any microcontroller). Ever tried to use a microcontroller in a project where you have a lot of noise ? If one does not know how to utilize inductors and capacitors as LC-filters the supply voltage of the micro (even more so the supply voltage for the ADCs) will be too noisy for the micro to operate correctly. The programs will not work properly. Furthermore micros cannot deliver high currents at there output. therefore you would always need discrete amplifier stages which in this case involve inductive coupling and so on and so forth...

takao21203

Joined Apr 28, 2012
welcome to the forum then, it's well moderated and supposed to be troll-free.

You could try wordpress on altervista, since you can install plugins and it's free.

I do create threads sometimes but often my content makes better on a blog- as I can write whatever I wanted to.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
I just use a VCR tape bulk eraser on my credit cards and put a tin foil hat on my cell phone when I'm traveling. :D

THE_RB

Joined Feb 11, 2008
I don't have the time to download videos from the internet and hate youtube's spam ads and invasive tracking cookies etc.

Why not just put a couple of photos and the schematic etc here in a thread? Then people don't have to go through all that spewtube B.S. :)

takao21203

Joined Apr 28, 2012
Exclusive video only is not so much attractive to examine.

Not everyone is willing to start watching video when told- just consider like some people don't take cold calls or even video call requests on Skype.

It is quite annoying to see some information about a topic and then you are directed to start streaming a video.

OK I watched one.

I have for a long time stopped to watch videos on Yahoo news.

Youtube is part of google and google+ is way way better than Facebook which is full of offensive adult ads.

there are communities, and the terms used for social interaction make sense.

I recommend OP to use google plus and join related communities (easy from youtube, as the vids will be visible as a tab on your google+, and you can share to a community easily.

No posts disappear like on facebook.

when you have a blog, you copy paste the URL into google+, either to your stream or a community.

Instantly, you get a thumbnail you can even select from the URLs images.

It is quite powerful. So use a blog, youtube and google+ and also make threads about selected content/information.

Wordpress allows both blog and pages. With a plugin, you can tag pages and categorize- powerful. You get SEO as well with analysis and score for each blog entry/page (on altervista).

Best of all, no pay for crappy SEO link farm web designer etc- totally free PHP + MySQL webhosting.

Joined Feb 17, 2014
Hey. The good thing with the videos is that they are simply better suited to explain the ideas behind the projects. I also think that many people these days are too lazy to read longer texts. Also most people seem to like Youtube.
But for those who hate Youtube :D :
I will start a blog on this page. There you can also read some stuff about the projects and maybe I will put in some pictures too.

An erasor-head can only be used to erase cards which use a magnetic stripe. That has little to nothing to do with RFID ;P

A tinfoil hat ha? Maybe it would work as a concentrator rather than a shield focusing the microwaves directly in your brain ;P

You could wrap an RFID-tag in Aluminum-foil though. It could act as a Faraday Cage.