RFID smart tag at book store

Susanlim33

Joined Mar 9, 2009
hi all,

i'm doing my final year project about implementing RFID smart tag at book store. The idea is about a fast track of purchasing the books by using a smart tag which i call it as a debit card where money has already loaded inside. So, when consumer want to purchase the book, they will just scan the book on the RFID reader and do the payment. i plan to have my laptop to display all the price and the item purchased. After payment, the command will prompt the printer to print out the receipt. At the same time, bookstore database will update the of the book inventory.

Just to ask u all about opinion, is it ok with this idea? if it is, how do i start with this project.
looking forward to all your views and guidances..

Thanks.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Self check-outs are quite common in the US at grocery stores. The process needs safeguards so a customer-thief doesn't checkout a cheap book while desensing a more expensive one. The grocery stores use weight, but there are obvious ways around that. The average cost per item of books may demand a much more secure system.

Human cashiers offer an opportunity for the business to create additional sales -- gift cards, accessories, etc. Also, human interactions promote future business. A thank you from a recording just doesn't have the same impact.

Despite self-checkouts having been around for many years, you still find people prefer the cashiers, when lines are about the same length. Cashiers are simply faster. Think of using an automated telephone answering service vs. a real person.

This is not to say that the automated idea doesn't have merit, I am simply suggesting that there are many non-technical issues to address.

John