ReWrite from VB6/Access to HTML/SQL_Server

LennyG

Joined Apr 23, 2012
Hi Folks:
I'm a VB6 coder. 10 years ago I wrote a complex inventory program using VB interfaces and an Access Db. I want to learn enough HTML to rewrite the program connecting it to Sql Server. Can anyone direct me to books or web tutorials that will instruct me in the basics and how-to connect to Dbs? I think I exhausted the Forums and search engine, but I am not sure because I did not even find any other VB6 writers. Maybe I was looking in the wrong place?
Thanks in advance for anything you can do to help.

Phant

Joined Apr 30, 2012
I depends on how you wrote the VB6 database code, but this could be as simple as going to ODBC manager and rebuilding the entry to point to the new database.

There are other ways VB6 could connect to a database instead of ODBC. If this is the case you will need to modify that, but ODBC was the most common method I found for Access.

Having converted VB6->Access programs to use other SQL engines...
Most likely a fair amount of the VB6 code will need to be rewritten, but some calls will work unchanged.

Edit: HTML is web base and has nothing to do with SQL. It is possible to call a web server with VB but I very much doubt you would really want to do this.

Last edited: