Rewire Solar Tiki Torch to get power direct from USB charging connector.

DCIComputers

Joined Oct 27, 2022
I would like to know if some clever person can tell me how I can modify some tiki torches I bought at https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08HRYJVN2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

So that they work inside from their UB charge connector instead of from their internal solar rechargeable batteries? I want to disconnect the solar charging battery and solar cell (throw them out) and wire the LEDs direct to the USB Power connector bypassing on/off switch. I want them to come on/off by plugging in/unplugging their USB power connector. I can then connect a smart power plug (that connects to the USB) to my phone or IFTTT to turn them all on or off at will or on a schedule. The LEDs are probably 5 volts? Anyone know if it can just open them and rewire the LED Lights to the USB power terminal bypassing batteries and the push button switch?

Thanks In Advance
DaveC

DCIComputers

Joined Oct 27, 2022
hi Dave,
Measure the total load current for running all the LED's from the actual battery.?
E
Helloo Eric, THanks for joinign in..

I updated the attached PDF as I found that there are indeed 4 wires from the casing arm and two of them do connect to the USB connector.

Eric, I suppose to measure the total current I would connect an amp meter in line between (disconnect one end and connect to amp meter in between the two ends where I snipped the wire) the two wires that go from the battery to the LEDs and power it on.

Thanks DaveC

Attachments

DCIComputers

Joined Oct 27, 2022
I believe I have figured this out. Just needed to cut the wires to the batteries and run the USB 5V wires to the place where the batteries were connecting. Thanks for your help!.