Revolution Counter ?

db133

Joined Aug 8, 2011
Hi

I have a coil winding machine that does not have a revolution counter.

I will require a method of counting the turns of my coils and I am looking for a digital 'Counter'. Just a simple means of counting the turns.

Any information or recommendations will be most appreciated.

In any event kind regards.

David.b

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
An optical encoder would be ideal for your case in my opinion. It could be implemented with a photodiode that would produce the clock voltage for a digital counter.

Are you familiar with the design? Is the turn count up to the hundreds or thousants?

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Another way is a small powerful magnet with either a hall effect switch (which detects magnetic fields and closes a switch) or a reed switch.

The OP may have been asking about a counter though. What is the max number if so?

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
One of the easiest ways to get something like that going is to use a reed switch with a magnet like Bill's talking about, and a pedometer that you can frequently find at a dollar store. I picked up several of these a few years ago for $1/ea; they had a 6-digit LCD panel and counted up just great using a reed switch/magnet arrangement.

THE_RB

Joined Feb 11, 2008
I like the pedometer idea! :)

You can also buy mechanical counters, that count everytime a shaft is turned. And relay style electromagnetic counters that use a relay coild to operate the count. You need to make sure it is resettable.

db133

Joined Aug 8, 2011
Another way is a small powerful magnet with either a hall effect switch (which detects magnetic fields and closes a switch) or a reed switch.

The OP may have been asking about a counter though. What is the max number if so?

10/15 thousand be nice 10 min.

CraigHB

Joined Aug 12, 2011
Don't think a pedomoter is going to have a 5 digit count. Probably the mechancal type that connect to a shaft have high enough count.

If you have to do something electronic, reed switches work fine up to several thousand RPM. Though, like any mechanical switch, they need to be debounced when building your own sensing circuit for them. Hall effect sensors can read much higher RPMs reliably and don't need to be debounced, but require more sophistiticated interfacing. Reed switches are very simple to interface.

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Don't think a pedomoter is going to have a 5 digit count.
Most of them have at least five digits, counting up to 99,999 steps. The versions I had were six digits, and the display stayed on all the time - I had one on for 3 years with the same battery.