Reversing 12v Motor

gotsteam

Joined Dec 28, 2010
New to this forum, and after reading all of the knowledge and expertise that is here on this forum, I figured this is a great place to ask a question I have.

I am trying to create a gate opener circuit, and trying to figure out if there is a simple way to do this. Basically, I can purchase a receiver for wireless remotes. How can I make a automatically reversing circuit for the 12v motor that opens the gate? A circuit such as when the button is pushed, the gate opens all the way, then the next time the button is pushed, the voltage is reversed and the gate closes in the other direction. I do not want the circuit to close the gate after a certain time, but rather just reverse the circuit for the next time that the button is pushed. The motor has non-adjustable limit switches built in at the fully extended and fully retracted position (linear actuator).

Keep in mind that I understand the basics of circuits, but will need explanations and schematics to help me understand the solution if there is one. I was looking at the H-Bridge, but it still requires input on what direction the motor is going to spin. I'll just have one input that would control opening and closing. I appreciate any insight you may have on this.

ashish19183

Joined Sep 16, 2009
this can be done by H-bridge and for single i/p try to work on logic which can

solve this for example use bistable multi-vibrator so when u first press then o/p

goes high and next time u press it will go low, try to make some logic with

gates so that o/p can be feed to ur H-Bridge circuit

Hagen

Joined May 8, 2010
I have built several such devices and I have found a device called an alternating relay to be an easy solution. The relay has two microswitches, and on each pulse of power to the coil of the relay, each switch changes state.