Reversible split phase motor question

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
You can do that with a DPDT switch wired between power and the black and red directional wires. Connect power to each of the common wiper contacts. Connect the black and red to the cross-wired NO and NC contacts like this (replace the DC power with the AC power).

Edit: If you must use a SPDT switch then you will need to use that to control a DPDT relay, wired the same as the DPDT switch.

jls667

Joined Jun 5, 2013
Thanks. I am still a bit confused how the motor works.

Where would I wire the Yellow and blue wires?
What do I do about the starter circuit?

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
Thanks. I am still a bit confused how the motor works.

Where would I wire the Yellow and blue wires?
What do I do about the starter circuit?
Well that is indeed a puzzle. :confused: Normally neutral and the 120 volt return are the same line. But if you connect them that way, there would be no voltage across the main motor winding. Either there's an error in the drawing or neutral and return are not the same connection.

jls667

Joined Jun 5, 2013
Any idea where I go next for answers on the Dayton Motor. The model is 9Z409A. I forgot to mention the model before.

bill5335

Joined May 25, 2013
Is the motor hooked up now?

The starter switch is probably a centrifugal switch within the motor itself.

As the motor starts, the centrifugal switch opens, disconnecting the start windings from power.

The other set of windings are the run windings which will run the motor as long as power is on.

Wire the Red and Brown to a switch. Wire the other side of the switch to 120 volts.

Wire the black and yellow to neutral.

Flip the switch to on, Note motor rotation.

To run the motor in the other direction, wire the black to brown (120 v) nad wire the red and yellow to neutral.

jls667

Joined Jun 5, 2013
I will have to add a relay for the limit switches and probably two for the key switch for the pool cover. Both those switches are low voltage. Any suggestions on the best configuration? Would I need any other components?

Thanks.
John

bill5335

Joined May 25, 2013
Can you tell us how you want the circuit to work?

Are the limit switches going to cut power to the motor when the limit is reached?

Will you be wiring a key switch with a forward and reverse positions?

Bill

jls667

Joined Jun 5, 2013
Yes is the answer to both questions. I want to wire in a forward and reverse switch and the limit switches should turn off the motor when the cover is in either the open or closed position.

jls667

Joined Jun 5, 2013
This circuit is for an electric pool cover. There is a key switch for open and close. There is also a magnetic limit switch for fully open and fully closed.. A magnet is built in to the cover. The circuit would need to know whether the cover was opening or closing when the limit switch is tripped, so the cover will only move in the opposite direction.

jls667

Joined Jun 5, 2013
Below I attached my attempt at designing a low voltage switch to control my pool cover motor. I am doing this because I used to be able to buy a device that would do all this, but it seems off the market. Every few years the device breaks, so I am here trying to design a better one. I am here to hopefully get some community help. Whether or not my design works, it is still missing an important component. I have a magnetic switch that should tell my circuit to turn off the motor when the cover is fully open or fully closed. When that limit is hit, the cover should only be allowed in the opposite direction. That is the part I had no idea how to design. The same magnetic switch is used for opening and closing.

Thanks for any help.
John

Attachments

jls667

Joined Jun 5, 2013
I hope someone will give me comments on my pool cover limit switch circuit. When the pool is in the process of opening or closing, the key switch should be able to reverse the motor without a problem. When the cover hits a limit switch, the motor stops and will only work in the opposite direction. Since the motor is an AC motor, there is a starting circuit that can be reversed to reverse the motor. The motor running circuit is the same for both directions and has to always come on. I see potentially two problems. The pool cover will usually be always open or always closed. That means the limit switch is usually activated and a relay will stay energized most of the time. Is that bad? Also, do I need a flyback diode on all the relay coils?

Attachments

ohmslaw08

Joined Jul 20, 2013
If you want to reverse the direction of your motor, you simply reverse the connection of your Aux, winding (Also known as start winding) from the original connection in relation to your Run winding. This can be achieved by using a multiple contact switch (DPDT) or a 2 separate relays.

Example: Motor Blue/Motor Red connected, and Motor Yellow/Motor Black connected, motor should run in one direction , if you connect Motor Blue/Motor Black and Motor Yellow/ Motor Red, motor will run the other direction.

jls667

Joined Jun 5, 2013
I think that is what I did. I just realized another mistake. The limit switch turns off the motor start circuit, but not the motor run circuit. There must be a better design that uses fewer relays.

ohmslaw08

Joined Jul 20, 2013
Limit switch is actually part of your control ckt after the motor has started, you will need 2 limit switches 1 for up travel and 1 for down travel. Better yet, if you want to add an over travel LS, for added protection. Good luck.