reverseing a motor?

Verdict_Guilty

Joined Mar 30, 2014
hey I use these forums but never had an account but now I have become curious about something and cant get much information on it so any little thing will help :)

I bought an old lathe last week and set it up its going like a charm :D the old guy who owned it has it run off an old washing machine motor which he has done some nice work to make it go forward and reverse and also has put a variable speed on it which is really handy but i was wondering if someone could explain to me how this is done? Im not very good with electronics i have the bare basics we learn in college (im studying mechanical engineering so we don't do much electronics). If anyone could help me id really appreciate it

Jimmy

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
You need to find out the technology of the motor, a simple (older) 1ph split phase washing machine motor does not vary speed, not without problems anyway, if this was a variable speed on the washer, then it is either a Universal motor, controlled by a Motorola TDA1085 IC controller or a later brushless multi-pole AC motor.
Max.

Verdict_Guilty

Joined Mar 30, 2014
Thanks for the reply :) by the look of it I think the old fellow put it all together himself there's two simple boards on it. How would I find out about the motor? or is there a way to do it?