Reverse polarity protection

ockrzr

Joined May 25, 2020
Hi folks,

I'm pretty new to all of this and I'm just looking for a bit of guidance.

I've stolen together the parts for a small pcb and was wondering if the reverse polarity protection is implemented correctly and if it could be improved. I'm just looking to avoid the inevitable - inserting the battery the wrong way around and blowing up the board. Hope anyone can help me take the necessary precautions.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

ockrzr

Joined May 25, 2020
I have read that a diode would have a higher voltage drop. I am planning the charge the battery with a solar panel and I am just unsure how much the voltage loss would impact the charging of the 18650 cell. (in addition to the current leakage)

Hymie

Joined Mar 30, 2018
Well designed battery connectors will not allow reverse polarity connection, and battery holder terminals arranged such that with the battery reversed, at least one contact is open circuit.

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
You can use 0.7V as a rough check for the voltage drop of a general purpose diode. A Schottky diode will drop much less. Around 0.2V. How this would affect the charging of the battery depends on the specifications of your solar array. Use the specifications of the solar panel, the charging characteristics of the battery and the diode voltage drop (0.2V is suggested) to answer your own question.