reverse polarity protection for voltmeters

eceeng

Joined May 8, 2007
what is the best way to protect a voltmeter or VOM from the damages brought by connecting the device in the wrong polarity?

techroomt

Joined May 19, 2004
if you are talking digital display, then the meter will just read the value in negative notation.

the analog display type, or vom, will attempt to deflect the needle below zero and can damage the movement. they are not protected that i am aware of. the exact reason why techs should be aware of the "expected voltage polarity" reading before inserting leads - always a good idea. so the best protection here is knowledge.

however, in the event a negative going needle is observed, a quick removal of the probes will lessen the likelyhood of movement damage.

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
A modern instrument has built-in overvoltage protection and is insensentive to applied polarity. It just gives the reading and wheather it was positive or negative with respect to the common kead.

When you say VOM, I think of Simpson 260. It had P-poor overvoltage and you just watched the needle bounce off the left stop when testing the wrong polarity.

Neo1130

Joined Sep 3, 2007
A modern instrument has built-in overvoltage protection and is insensentive to applied polarity. It just gives the reading and wheather it was positive or negative with respect to the common kead.

When you say VOM, I think of Simpson 260. It had P-poor overvoltage and you just watched the needle bounce off the left stop when testing the wrong polarity.
Didn't they also have circuit breakers in them that would pop in this certain condition?