Reverse DC motor and then forward again

cv935

Joined Jan 21, 2010
I need help with a set up for a forward reverse motion DC 3 to 6 volt motor.
I will be useing the motor to go back and fourth between 9 and 3 O clock.
Like wipers on a car.

The motor needs to be quiet and be able to lift about 8 onces and have atleast a 1.5 inch shaft with a flat side. The speed between 3 and 9 should be 1 second.

Can someone help me find these parts and get this project on the road?

hobbyist

Joined Aug 10, 2008
1. H-bridge, for motor direction controle.
2. limit switches to detect end of arc sweep.
3. timing circuitry to run the motor at set speed. (pulse width modulation, to controle speed)
4. geared head motor.

Since I design only with transistors, and no IC's, I might try to design this from discreet components just for the fun of it. If I do I'll post it in this thread. But I have other hobbies to attent to right now.

Last edited:

KMoffett

Joined Dec 19, 2007
cv935,

Can you explain the whole project? Reversing a motor from full speed at 1 second intervals is going to be hard on the motor. There may be other ways to achieve your goal...if we knew what that was. It might be easier to solve your problem...than solve your solution. ;)

Ken

hobbyist

Joined Aug 10, 2008
KMOFFET, brings up a very good point.

You may be able to do it with a geared head motor, running continuous in one direction,
With mechanical linkages to reverse, at a set point.

That would be the most feasable, way of doing it, that way you got continuous torque, with no abrupt turning motor speed and direction.

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Well, you're going to need something like a windshield wiper motor & transmission.

Using rubber mounts will help to quiet it down.

A hobby motor/servo just won't have the torque necessary.

Bernard

Joined Aug 7, 2008
I cast my vote for continuous rotation. Rack & pinion for a bunny ride? I have used cut timing belt for for both. I just messed up & used Quick Reply