Restrict off-topic?

Should Off-Topic be restricted to new members?

• Yes

Votes: 6 60.0%
  • No

Votes: 4 40.0%

• Total voters

tshuck

Joined Oct 18, 2012
It seems there is a lot of contention among members here of late, most of which is directed within the Off-Topic forum. Off-Topic seems to be getting quite a bit of popularity with people that have no interest, or at least no perceived interest, in electronics. Perhaps these people are simply interested in conversation, but that is not the point if this site. These posts, while harmless if people were to ignore them, are causing quite a bit of a divide among members who refuse to ignore them. My question, then, is this: is it possible to make Off-Topic off limits for new members? Ideally, what I am imagining is being granted access once hitting member status, that way, those in Off-Topic are somehow contributing to the forum, and seemingly dedicated to maintaining the quality of this site.

Last edited:

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
I am not sure that the wording of your poll question will provide clear results. Without reading the post, one could conclude that the question is "Should only new members be allowed to post in off-topic?"

Perhaps the question would be more clearly stated as "Should members be required to have xx posts before they are allowed to post in off-topic?"

But maybe that's just my pedantic nature showing through. It's your poll after all. :)

tshuck

Joined Oct 18, 2012
I am not sure that the wording of your poll question will provide clear results. Without reading the post, one could conclude that the question is "Should only new members be allowed to post in off-topic?"

Perhaps the question would be more clearly stated as "Should members be required to have xx posts before they are allowed to post in off-topic?"

But maybe that's just my pedantic nature showing through. It's your poll after all. :)
I try to be concise, but after fighting with my phone to post this, I got a bit fed up and posted too quickly, thanks for pointing that out:). I don't think I can change it now.... :(

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
I won't vote on the actual poll because of the confusing wording. I know what you mean, but I wouldn't want my response to be misunderstood.

I think the off-topic section should only be available to members with >100 posts, for example. That seems like a reasonable number to me.

Kingsparks

Joined May 17, 2011
Okay, I read the post and understand what you mean, with that caveat I will vote. I think most members will read the post, and will understand the poll. Might be wrong but ... there you go, we do what we think is best or right.

Last edited:

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
As of late, some regular members have developed the impression that they have increased rights on AAC, as compared to new members, similarly to how Audioguru viewed himself. This couldn't be further than the truth.

The only rights Senior Members have against New Members is the ability to send PMs and create threads in the Flea Market. Other than that, all members have exactly the same rights and obligations and are judged equally, as much as possible.

To expand on that, every member has equal right to post in the Offtopic and discuss non-electronic matters, since that is the subject of the subforum. The only rules, apart from the ones stated in the ToS, are that the discussion must be civil, respect cultural differences, not contain sexual content or scurrility, be polite and humane. Moreover, any arguments must be documented (in the spirit of a well-founded discussion), otherwise they must be stated as opinions.
This may sound a lot, but on closer inspection they are the ingredients of a civilized discussion amongst civilized members.

For all of the above reasons, no changes will be applied to the Offtopic Forum. Members are reminded that, just as in real life, one can choose what people he wants to socialize with, within the forum.

praondevou

Joined Jul 9, 2011
Well, GR made his point. No changes will be made.

Nevertheless I think it would be a good idea. There are other restrictions until you posted 10 times, why not having one that doesn`t allow opening off-topic for someone who never posted anything?

It`s not about older members thinking they have more rights than others.

Some of the off topics lately were closer to spam than to off-topic. That`s why they were closed or members banned.

Not that I care too much. But sometimes I wish I had a more sophisticated filter for that. Eliminating useless threads takes time too.

And worse, they make me click on them and loosing my time... ok, that`s MY fault.:D

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
A good indication on the thread's content is the thread's author. In the thread list, directly under every thread title is the thread author field. You can use that to judge the thread.

This presupposes that you know by heart the members whom you would like to hear from, but I think that's valid for all of the frequent members.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
I agree with the OP. While posting in OT is a lot of fun sometime, the point of this forum is electronics.

If OT is the same as other forums then why don't OT posts count in your post count (maybe it is just for new members can't remember, anyway there is a difference between OT and other forums).

Kingsparks

Joined May 17, 2011
Okay, I passed the magic number of 100 post and now I am considered a "Senior Member." I don't consider myself a senior member, I still feel like the new kid on the block so when I voted in the poll I was considering the issue, not any special privilege.

Opinions are cheap, everybody has one but that is what keeps things going. In this case I agree with the opinion of the OP and don't see it as any sort of special consideration for senior members but rather as a means to limit nonsense postings.

Last edited:

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
How about a filter so when "New Posts" is clicked, the off-topic forum doesn't show up? I saw that as a mod for vB, each user can select the sub-forums to be searched for new posts.

Secondary: New area called "la la land" where threads that are just... odd, and don't really fit anywhere else, including off-topic, are posted or moved to. Then don't have it show up in search engine / new posts (forum creation option).

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
Some of the off topics lately were closer to spam than to off-topic. That`s why they were closed or members banned.
My thoughts exactly. That's why I was agreeing with the OP. It has nothing to do with limiting the use of the form just for the heck of it. It's not about being a control freak. It's to (hopefully) avoid a barrage of useless, spam-like posts from new members (spinnaker, you and I are thinking of the same member, I think ;) ).

Just my $0.02

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
What I don't like is the fact google is VERY good at associating groups together, and the more of the pseudo stuff that's "accepted" (default if not moved to a non-serious forum), the more of those types will be attracted. Then I'll follow AudioGuru. :(

Joined Nov 30, 2010
My first impulse was, "Let the Mods take care of it" (they're actually quite good) but tshuck made a valid point about limiting off-topic to people that actually contribute to the reason this site exists. Then, there is room to argue whether 10 posts is too few and 100 posts is too demanding/stringent.

Still, I am spitting into the wind because the issue has been decided.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
How about a filter so when "New Posts" is clicked, the off-topic forum doesn't show up? I saw that as a mod for vB, each user can select the sub-forums to be searched for new posts.

Secondary: New area called "la la land" where threads that are just... odd, and don't really fit anywhere else, including off-topic, are posted or moved to. Then don't have it show up in search engine / new posts (forum creation option).
What about Cuckoos Nest (as in One Flew Over...)? :)

I was just thinking this limitation thing might just backfire. We might have people posting just anything just so they can post in the off topic forum. It seems what jaygatsby was doing just to drive up his post count.

tshuck

Joined Oct 18, 2012
What about Cuckoos Nest (as in One Flew Over...)? :)

I was just thinking this limitation thing might just backfire. We might have people posting just anything just so they can post in the off topic forum. It seems what jaygatsby was doing just to drive up his post count.
Anyone willing to go through that many hoops to try to troll would have to be pretty dedicated. At that point, though, the mods would have a sure case for banishment, as their posts would be disruptive in a area that doesn't tolerate random posts.

The issue with Mr. Gatsby was that he was not technically breaking the rules(aside from a few rude/incendiaryremarks) , though the mods exercised their rights to protect the interest of the forum.

Ultimately, a troll will troll, I think it should be difficult for them to do so.

takao21203

Joined Apr 28, 2012
Anyone willing to go through that many hoops to try to troll would have to be pretty dedicated. At that point, though, the mods would have a sure case for banishment, as their posts would be disruptive in a area that doesn't tolerate random posts.

The issue with Mr. Gatsby was that he was not technically breaking the rules(aside from a few rude/incendiaryremarks) , though the mods exercised their rights to protect the interest of the forum.

Ultimately, a troll will troll, I think it should be difficult for them to do so.
It was serving as bad example, he was banned so it does not invite others to derail the forum with social network style posts.

Also it was of no use, not about technology, and not really funny or entertaining.

tshuck

Joined Oct 18, 2012
It was serving as bad example, he was banned so it does not invite others to derail the forum with social network style posts.

Also it was of no use, not about technology, and not really funny or entertaining.
At what point does a troll care if another troll was banned? No new troll will look back at the case of Mr. Gatsby and decide not to troll.