resonant frequency

mary_owen

Joined Apr 30, 2008
Calculate the resonnt frequency of a circuit consisting of a 400 ohm resistor in series with a 0.8h coil and a 3uf capacitor. could some one please give us a hand with this ?

mik3

Joined Feb 4, 2008
Calculate the resonnt frequency of a circuit consisting of a 400 ohm resistor in series with a 0.8h coil and a 3uf capacitor. could some one please give us a hand with this ?
The resonant frequency of a an RLC in series or parallel is given by the formula:

resonant frequency=1/sqrt(L*C)

Ron H

Joined Apr 14, 2005
We had a long discussion about this in this thread. I was in the minority, but I still think I'm right.:rolleyes:
It would be interesting to see what the "official" answer to mary_owen's problem is.

mary_owen

Joined Apr 30, 2008
thanks for the reply guys . while searching on the internet the formula 1/sqrt(L*C) poped up alot. i can supsotute the l and c for the capacitor and inductor value but where does the resistor value come into it?

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
Resistors aren't reactive - the resistance value is not affected by the applied frequency.

Guess I had better mention that a wire-wound resistor can cause problems in a high frequency application because that coil of wire in it is reactive - but it's probably safe to assume that's not the case here (there would have had to have been a mention of the diameter of the core and the number of turns for the resistor to have a calculable reactance).

Last edited:

Ron H

Joined Apr 14, 2005
Here, we are talking about a series RLC circuit. In the previous thread, I was talking about a parallel resonant circuit with a resistor in series with the inductor, and driving that circuit with an AC current source. In that configuration, the damped resonant frequency (peak output voltage) is definitely a function of the resistor value. If you put the circuit in an oscillator, the oscillation frequency will be a function of the Q of the inductor.

With a series RLC circuit, the only thing that changes is the bandwidth of the notch.

Caveman

Joined Apr 15, 2008
Guys,

You are correct about the formula for the undamped resonance frequency. However, an RLC circuit is a damped circuit, so it has a damped resonance frequency. Whether this is higher or lower than the undamped resonance frequency depends on the damping factor.

If you want more detail including the formula to solve for the resistance, read the RLC Circuit wikipedia article.

mik3ca

Joined Feb 11, 2007
I was wondering, in a parallel RLC circuit, shouldn't the resistance in AC mode be equal to slightly less than R at resonance, just because XL and XC are equal?

Digi Dave

Joined Apr 25, 2008

Digi_Dave, we don't give out answers in the Homework forum. We help questioners find their own answers.

-Thingmaker3

Last edited by a moderator: