[RESOLVED] Part identification to upgrade a motherboard laptop

Olimatou

Joined Dec 8, 2017
Hi,

Thanks to anyone that could managed to find this component ^^

I need to identify a surface mount part component to solder on my Lenovo Yoga 300-11IBY 80M1 with motherboard P/N : 5B20L02553

I need to do this to upgrade this crap notebook with a ssd to get a better running machine. Currently, this is a working paperweight because it is so slow, that it cannot run anything on windows 10 with only 2GB RAM and 32GB eMMC. This is a daily pain in the ass to use it.

I need the female SATA onboard connector as spare part to solder it in place. White PCB printed rectangle for it mesure 9mmx6mm. There is also through holes for the component plastic underneath part. I searched the entire web for it with no success. Only used or faulty motherboards to buy but this is not worth the money for a budget 200$ laptop.

This is a 10 pins surface mount connector component used as SATA connector:
SATA_CONNECTOR.jpg

Cable to connect with it is Lenovo spare part reference 5C10J08424 looking like this :
s-l1600.jpg

Full motherboard picture :
DSC01133.JPG

Once again, thanks to anyone that will find this part reference ! The first one to get it should ask for a 1L beer !

Regards.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
This might be an impertinent question, but why is adding a SATA connector and an external device going to solve your performance problem?

The second question is does the TS have the skills to work with SMD at that level?

Third question. How do you know this is going to work after going through all of this trouble?

be80be

Joined Jul 5, 2008
Where the power 10 pins don't seem right I'm looking at a samsung SSD it's 10 pins plus power so you need 14 pins for power side and 10 for data. But if the laptop was made for a update like this looks like the power would be there too.

I got a laptop that can be upgraded but after checking up on that I had to send it back and they add the need parts.

Point is adding a connector maybe not all you need and 10 pins is not a SATA connector for SSD harddrive

You'd be better off using the usb 3.0 and good usb 3.0 hard drive.
It's probably faster.

I got my kid one of these i one week she couldn't even get on the net.
I did a clean install and set it up to use a usb 3.0 drive flash drive 128g she hasn't had any more problems.

Last edited:

Olimatou

Joined Dec 8, 2017
I don't know but might be 3-4mm max, less maybe... and this is not a ffc or fpc common type component, I think, because there is no part on the web that match this part. Not the same connector range...
This might be an impertinent question, but why is adding a SATA connector and an external device going to solve your performance problem?
You mean INTERNAL device and SSD on SATA 6Gb/s will be much faster than onboard eMMC (< to version 5), so system swap and caching will be better because 2Go LPDDR3 memory in single channel is not sufficient for windows and applications, 4Go is, for my opinion, the minimum required. Also because there is only 32Go of space for the whole system and you cannot imagine how it is hard to manage to get a simple Win10 version upgrade on this crap ! Even if you manage to get a cleaned system with DISM and remove all unneeded partitions on the drive, you are stuck with near 22Go of files... Yes, I know, we are on Windows and not a Linux distro ^^
The second question is does the TS have the skills to work with SMD at that level?
Third question. How do you know this is going to work after going through all of this trouble?
SMD soldering is not a problem for me ^^ Good pane and flux will do the job.
I don't know if it will work but why not ? Do you think Lenovo will remove all components for SATA on the motherboard revision for that version ? I don't think so because the controller is needed for eMMC, only connector is removed from the assembly chain to not permit end-user upgrades and to sell HDD/SSD versions of the computer at a higher price tag...
Where the power 10 pins don't seem right I'm looking at a samsung SSD it's 10 pins plus power so you need 14 pins for power side and 10 for data. But if the laptop was made for a update like this looks like the power would be there too.

I got a laptop that can be upgraded but after checking up on that I had to send it back and they add the need parts.

Point is adding a connector maybe not all you need and 10 pins is not a SATA connector for SSD harddrive

You'd be better off using the usb 3.0 and good usb 3.0 hard drive.
It's probably faster.

I got my kid one of these i one week she couldn't even get on the net.
I did a clean install and set it up to use a usb 3.0 drive flash drive 128g she hasn't had any more problems.
Dedicated power lines are mixed for this particular connector to sata bracket, the cable adaptor is also 10pins to SATA+Power cable that you can see on the picture I posted... And I want an internal SSD for this portable device... That is not safe to get an attached ssd for the system on USB (even if my Samsung T1 is fast enough), I prefer the dedicated internal HDD/SSD location that is the best option for this device...

---

Thank for replies...

be80be

Joined Jul 5, 2008
Lenovo Yoga 300-11IBY 80M1 thats what you have

This is what they say that kit works on
80LX001FUS Lenovo Flex 3 - 11.6" Touchscreen 2-In-1 Laptop

Olimatou

Joined Dec 8, 2017
Lenovo Yoga 300-11IBY 80M1 thats what you have

This is what they say that kit works on
80LX001FUS Lenovo Flex 3 - 11.6" Touchscreen 2-In-1 Laptop
With no offense, but I am searching for the component part to solder on the motherboard to plug the SATA cable adapter inside ^^

So I clearly understand that on my model, without soldering this socket, I cannot use this cable kit... This kit is compatible with my motherboard type in the service manual.

I would like to find this particular FCP socket to avoid solder directly the cable onto the motherboard... It should work but I want this to be well done. Will do this only in last resort.

Regards.

Last edited:

Olimatou

Joined Dec 8, 2017
To be more precise, I think, after searching around again that this is a 1mm pitch 10p smt special I/O FCP connector made for Lenovo. I think it exists somewhere from a chinese manufacturer but it is like searching for a lost needle... I mailed cable sellers for the female part reference for the kit, but I get only a few responses with "we don't know" answers...

After taking measures on the motherboard and comparing with pictures on the web, this component might be 8mmx3mm with a pitch of 1mm and maybe 2.5mm high...

Regards.

Last edited:

Olimatou

Joined Dec 8, 2017
Thank you mate, but I live in France and shipping from US will cost me nearly 40$ + the motherboard price + import fees 20% + 18-25$ for customs.
You can understand that this is barely impossible to find it cheap from imports... Maybe if I could find a contributor from a dead motherboard that could send me the unsoldered part with a low cost mail carrier, but didn't currently found one ^^

I can afford for the motherboard price and low cost shipping, but more should be too much for this laptop... I'd rather buy a new one from china for better specs and same price tag... I must also take in consideration the SSD and Cable kit prices... Will cost me a big amount to get this working fine already...

Regards.

Last edited:

Olimatou

Joined Dec 8, 2017
Well, I searched Ebay for defective cards from Europe and I am currently negotiating prices with sellers to get the best offers... Didn't found some couple of days ago, but now there is new ones around ^^

So thank you, I remembered to search again when you posted...

Regards.

be80be

Joined Jul 5, 2008
I kind of had this kind of problem before most time's if they have for sale something like you wanted and no connector there's a good reason.
They can't find one too. or they would be getting them by the truckloads to sale and telling the world they have them for sale.
Hope it works out for you.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
I still don't think the results will be what you expect. You seem to be saying that your system is I/O bound. This is actually comparatively rare. Do you have actual data that supports this supposition on your part. It seems more likely that you are CPU bound.

Olimatou

Joined Dec 8, 2017
I still don't think the results will be what you expect. You seem to be saying that your system is I/O bound. This is actually comparatively rare. Do you have actual data that supports this supposition on your part. It seems more likely that you are CPU bound.
As I said there is many culprit bottlenecks here, memory, eMMC remaining space and speed... CPU is not responsible here... This is a poor configuration machine for windows 10, that's it... eMMC standard less than 4.5 let you with poor transfer rates here, so you get the system struggling with not enough memory and swapping all the time... A SSD will, at least, speed things up for sure... This is an endless circle... If system take time to achieve tasks, at the end, even the cpu will get too much charge. All is related.

Olimatou

Joined Dec 8, 2017
I kind of had this kind of problem before most time's if they have for sale something like you wanted and no connector there's a good reason.
They can't find one too. or they would be getting them by the truckloads to sale and telling the world they have them for sale.
Hope it works out for you.
Thanks, will post something after my mod anyway...

Olimatou

Joined Dec 8, 2017
I found a bundled faulty card with the HDD cable for a reasonable price with free shipping ^^
MB.jpg
Will post results when I will receive and solder my connector...

Olimatou

Joined Dec 8, 2017
Hi all,

Coming back to post results of my mod ^^

Managed to get my Samsung SSD working after connector soldering and a bit of bridging... :
DSC01142.JPG
DSC01143.JPG
eMMC is deactivated now, but I have a faster SSD and 128Go of disk space to play with...

The connector is very small and had to use my microscope camera and my rework station to get rid of the job part, but voila, this is working :

DSC01144.JPG

Bye...

Olimatou

Joined Dec 8, 2017
So how are you going to get the case closed after all of this?
With screws, of course !!! Lol

Seriously, all is perfectly contained inside because there is already room for 2.5 HDD/SSD, the only problem I was facing here was that there is no connector on this entry level notebook for SATA. Problem solved now and performances are improved like I was expecting to. Managed to clone the eMMC drive to the Samsung SSD, then all was breeze with windows updates to latest Fall Creators Win 10 upgrade...

The only designed from Lenovo problem here, is that you cannot access eMMC storage anymore while using SATA HDD... But this is a minor default compared to gain.
Overall system response is far better with ssd speeds (sata 6Go/s max here, great that this is full speed). System caching and swap is now better and I noticed a big improvement. This is now a usable notebook.

As you can see in the next picture, aspect is like it was when brand new. SSD capacity for system is 108Go now (minus partitions for recuperation, UEFI and some Gigas for Over Provisioning ^^) :

DSC01148.JPG

Regards...

Last edited: