Resistors spec for the Emerson A3AUNMPW-001 Power Supply Board

BarryTron

Joined Nov 18, 2018
My Emerson power module started to smoke the other day, i took it out an discovered couple resistors have burned off. I was trying to find the circut board diagram to find out the resistor type for replacement. Hope someone can help me with this. Attached is the one that burned out. Below is a link to board number and look (Emerson A3AUNMPW-001 Power Supply Board LF501EM5F)

https://www.shopjimmy.com/emerson-a...ard-lf501em5f/#mz-expanded-view-1547504205941

size down 1.jpg

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
The resistors that burned are not the big problem. Another part failed and caused excessive current to flow in the resistors. So replacing them will not solve the problem, nor will it make the board work again. And the board in that link did not look at al like the board with the failed parts. So one way towards a fix is to obtain a circuit drawing and see where the resistors are that burned and then see what part would have caused that much current to flow and cause the failure.

BarryTron

Joined Nov 18, 2018
Hi MisterBill,

Ebay sells a repair kit that they claim will fix the issue. The board has two sides, you must have been looking at the front side, if you click on the link again you will see the option to select the other side (green side) , the link will look just as my attached burned board. I was hoping that i could get some guide as to how to obtain the circuit drawing, I looked all over the place and was hoping that folks here would have links or know how when it comes down to obtaining the circuit drawings.

bad1.jpg

BarryTron

Joined Nov 18, 2018
Looks like it was a captivator that took the hit. I have replaced very bad regular looking capacitors, is it normal for a surface mount capacitors to go out like that? Can anyone please translate the 1/100V meaning. Thank you.

share1.JPG

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
Hi MisterBill,

Ebay sells a repair kit that they claim will fix the issue. The board has two sides, you must have been looking at the front side, if you click on the link again you will see the option to select the other side (green side) , the link will look just as my attached burned board. I was hoping that i could get some guide as to how to obtain the circuit drawing, I looked all over the place and was hoping that folks here would have links or know how when it comes down to obtaining the circuit drawings.

View attachment 215730
Depending on the price and the actual supplier selling, that may be the best deal, if it comes with some instructions. One big question is your ability to solder and remove surface mount parts. That may be an issue. And I see that there are three backlight supplies. So this is for a flat-screen monitor or TV?

BarryTron

Joined Nov 18, 2018
Depending on the price and the actual supplier selling, that may be the best deal, if it comes with some instructions. One big question is your ability to solder and remove surface mount parts. That may be an issue. And I see that there are three backlight supplies. So this is for a flat-screen monitor or TV?
Hi MisterBill, i can solder and remove surface mount parts, I do prefer regular parts if i have a chose. Do you know what type of capacitor is the 1/100V, I will have to replace them too along with the kit parts?

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
1/100 is probably one microfarad rated 100 volts.
And I am relieved that you are able to solder quite well. I have seenpictures in some posts that look like the soldering was done with a block of charcoal. Or maybe by a drunk using a red-hot nail. That is why I asked, since I had no clue.

If the parts kit fixes the problem then it was worth the price, probably. Diagnostics of a switching supply is always a challenge because they are actually quite complex, even if the circuit looks simple.

BarryTron

Joined Nov 18, 2018
1/100 is probably one microfarad rated 100 volts.
And I am relieved that you are able to solder quite well. I have seenpictures in some posts that look like the soldering was done with a block of charcoal. Or maybe by a drunk using a red-hot nail. That is why I asked, since I had no clue.

If the parts kit fixes the problem then it was worth the price, probably. Diagnostics of a switching supply is always a challenge because they are actually quite complex, even if the circuit looks simple.
Thank you MisterBill, I have never purchased a kit like that from ebay . . . interesting idea. I was debating on just buying a used one for about $30 or take the hard road and taking a chance to save couple $$. I was thinking about replacing the capacitors first (if I already have some) as take it from their.