Resistors Identification/Usage

byargeon1

Joined Apr 3, 2020
Given to me by father-in-law years ago. Most are a wire wound and ceramic and have CGW on them. I assume Corning Glass Ware maybe. Some of the other names on them are Ohmite, DALOHM, IRC, MELPCO, KOA and DALE.The AAA BATTERY in pics for size comparison. Also does anyone know why in one pic there is a group of resistors with legs bent and a wave in the leads. They all look factory bent and match perfectly. Just curious. Was just seeing if anyone could ID some in the pics as I have searched and found similar but size appears off . I can post Ω and manufacturer corlde if need be. I only work on small items so I have no need for most of them but . Would it make since to sell them or would it not be worth the time or money. Thank you all for any and all help.

Attachments

AlbertHall

Joined Jun 4, 2014
I think the leads are kinked to space them off the PCB so when they get hot they get more cooling air and don't scorch the board.

byargeon1

Joined Apr 3, 2020
I think the leads are kinked to space them off the PCB so when they get hot they get more cooling air and don't scorch the board.
Thank you very much for the answer. I typed in similar to what you said and that's exactly right and it also says it reliefs stress on components too. I'm guessing stress=heat.

byargeon1

Joined Apr 3, 2020
I've got a lot of carbon composition resistors big and small. Is there any identifiers to determine brands of them? Plus these are physically bigger than any 2 watt carbons I've found dimensions for. Do carbon comps go higher than 2 watts? Thanks in advance to everyone.

sagor

Joined Mar 10, 2019
Most common carbon composition resistors max out at 2W. Higher wattage like 3W to 5W can be found with Metal film resistors (or similar film types) and then you get into wirewound resistors for most common high wattage uses.
There are specialty resistors that can be high wattage like carborundum composition resistors.