Resistor Lists

RodneyB

Joined Apr 28, 2012
I am trying to find a web site or somone who can give me a list of standard resistors. Basically after calculations I would like to select an industry standard close to what is available off the shelf

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
There is more than one list depending on the tolerance of the resistors.
For most hobby work, the E12 (10% tolerance) is very common.
From this list, you can choose 12 values in each decade range.

The popular choice is to purchase E12 values of 5% tolerance.

The next common purchases are E24 values of 1% tolerance.
Personally I find it easier to read off the colour codes of E12 values.

Here is the best listing I have found:

http://www.logwell.com/tech/components/resistor_values.html

JMac3108

Joined Aug 16, 2010
In industry, most passives are SMD now. The most commonly used series are...

E24 5% and E96 1%

The 1% parts are so inexpensive now that I rarely even bother with the 5% parts.

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
I'll go to Digikey and use their search engine to find the style of resistor I am going to use, then search the column for values and pick one of those. There are just too many to really keep good track of what is out there.

Long time back I was told (and confirmed) that the values between the 1.0 and 1.1 (or so) base value are the most numerous, lots of values to pick from there.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
The E12 list follows. Each additional decade, multipley by 10, 100, 1000, etc.
You don't really need all values of each but that is the list. Higher precision (more values per decade) are available but it becomes difficult to tell what color is what on the resistor. 1/4 watt size will cover most of what you will need to do.

Also common for hobbiest is the E6 list. Just start with 1.0 and buy every other one on the list below. Cheaper and easier to keep track of. It really depends on what youa are doing and how much you want to invest in storage drawers (or sorting thought a mess of resistors). I keep the E6 values for 1/2 watt upto 10k (no need to go bigger - a 1/2 watt at that resistance will require vacuum tube voltages so no need for me).