resistor calculation

sangpo

Joined Aug 17, 2013
Sir/madm . Using 7805 , i want to make my own varaible voltage .ie. 3vdc,6vdc and 12 vdc. so in this case , how do I calculate value of resistor for 3vdc, value of resistor for 6vdc and value of reistor for 12vdc. Please help me here
thank you

tubeguy

Joined Nov 3, 2012
You really can't make a proper 3 volt regulator using the 7805 and resistors.

An LM317 would be better and go even lower than 3 volts.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Can I buy some extra time from u ??:rolleyes:
Sorry. Already stuck with yard work. Finished a plumbing job at 5 pm. Have to wait until 7:30 pm when the heat index goes down to 93 degrees so I can mow the lawn. (Mowing sucks in August in Florida!)

tubeguy

Joined Nov 3, 2012
Sorry. Already stuck with yard work. Finished a plumbing job at 5 pm. Have to wait until 7:30 pm when the heat index goes down to 93 degrees so I can mow the lawn. (Mowing sucks in August in Florida!)
How in the heck can you STAND plumbing !%$#@$#^%# ???

I have boxes of plumbing pieces that don't fit what I need at the moment. :cool:

EDIT: I HAVE plumbing stories .......

Joined Nov 30, 2010
How in the heck can you STAND plumbing !%$#@$#^%# ???:cool:
It comes with the territory, but among things I don't like to do, from worst to less worst, the list goes:

Painting
Plumbing
and gets better from there.
There's nothing quite like laying in a puddle of poop water, trying to fix ruined metal, while the mosquitoes try to eat you alive...and yet, I hate painting even worse.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
...and yet, I hate painting even worse.
Gosh, I enjoy the actual painting. Getting ready to paint - scraping, sanding, chiseling, repairing, cleaning, and on and on - would be considered cruel and unusual punishment if you forced prisoners to do it. Painting goes so quickly and makes such a big difference.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Gosh, I enjoy the actual painting. Getting ready to paint - scraping, sanding, chiseling, repairing, cleaning, and on and on - would be considered cruel and unusual punishment if you forced prisoners to do it. Painting goes so quickly and makes such a big difference.
I quite agree. Painting is like soldering: 90% of the work is preparation.
The difference is that if painting takes 4 to 6 hours, the preparation time was 40 to 60 hours. Soldering a pipe takes about 50 seconds, so the preparation takes about 8 minutes.

sangpo

Joined Aug 17, 2013
Thanks for valuable suggestion made by tubeguy. I have gone through the circuit diagrame for LM317. But here, i wan to know how the value of resistor is calulated. And also, from where did we get 1.25 volt.Please kindly explain for me.

Thank you all

sangpo

Joined Aug 17, 2013
thanks for the diagrame of LM317. Please kindly explain me how the value of resistors are calculated.
Thanks you somuch

Joined Nov 30, 2010
1.25 volts comes from the data sheet for the LM317 chip.
The value of the resistors is calculated by using the formula I wrote on the drawing or by using the formula on the data sheet for the LM317 chip.

Attachments