resister rating which is connected to an AC power

electronicsunzz

Joined Dec 2, 2009
hi friends this is my question
Suppose if i want to connect a 12 watt bulb in series with a resister to
home power supply(220v AC,50hz) then what value of resister should
I take(in terms of ohms and power rate) to make my bulb glow at high intensity of light.
answers would be appreciated.

electronicsunzz

Joined Dec 2, 2009
its nothing written on it expect power (12watts) anyways i just connected to my variable dc battery to measure the voltage, its sustaining up to 20 volts emitting maximum light. u so i think can take it as 20v.

KMoffett

Joined Dec 19, 2007
12W/20v=0.6A
(220V-20V)/0.6A=3333Ω
200V*0.6A=120W

So you would need a ~3500Ω, 150 watt resistor. Dissipating 120 watts in heat to light a 20 watt lamp. :eek:

Why not just buy a 20W/220V lamp?

Ken

electronicsunzz

Joined Dec 2, 2009
how would go with this to know the total current in the circuit [It(total current)=Lp(lamp power)/voltage]
what i say is, in a series connection power quantity is added then how could u take power only at lamp instead total power
i mean [It(total current)=Pt(lamp power+resister power )/voltage]
I remember In my circuit unknown quantities are TOTAL CURRENT,TOTAL RESISTANCE so obviously unknown total power.

KMoffett

Joined Dec 19, 2007
A 12W lamp at 20 V requires 0.6A of current through it.... I=P/V Since you resistor will be in series with the lamp, the current through the resistor and lamp will be the same...0.6A. That's the total current in the circuit. Total power is the lamp power plus the resistor power....20W+120W=140W

Ken

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
You really should use a step-down transformer instead. A transformer will be far more efficient than a current limiting resistor. A current limiting resistor alone will not provide isolation from mains power.

electronicsunzz

Joined Dec 2, 2009
thanks KMoffett for your kind answer .
anyways i have also read a message from sgtwookie saying that "using a transformer in place of resistor is very much much efficient" may i know the advantages of using transformer in place of a rated resistor. what makes the difference??