replacing voltage regulator a8805 - 2.4ghz Amplifier.

dilip_microwave

Joined Aug 21, 2011
Hi all,

I bought a 2 watt 802.11g wireless amplifier and I was sent the wrong power supply. The power supply was 12V 1A supply but i believe it should have been 6volt 2AMP.
It seems it as blown the regulator a8805 / AEF02 , it looks burnt. Is there a way to bypass this regulator if I can supply a supply of 6 volts ??

Or do you know of en equivalent regulator i can buy to replace it ??

Many thanks.

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Here is a datasheet for the a8805:
http://www.datasheetcatalog.org/datasheet/ame/ame8805.pdf
In the "/ AEF02" suffix, the leading "A" means that the output of the regulator is 3.3v. If you jumpered across the regulator and fed 6v to the input, you would let the smoke out of the components past the regulator.
The "F" suffix means an SOT-89 package.
Digikey carries several regulators that might be suitable, if the pinouts are the same.
AP1117Y33G-13
AP7215-33YG-13
AP1115BY33L-13
AP1117Y33L-13
I didn't check their datasheets; I'll leave that up to you.

dilip_microwave

Joined Aug 21, 2011
Thank you very much for your reply. Do you think I can run a bypass on it and make it work of a usb cable ??? I believe USB runs from 3 volt.

Thanks again.

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
Thank you very much for your reply. Do you think I can run a bypass on it and make it work of a usb cable ??? I believe USB runs from 3 volt.

Thanks again.
USB is 5 volts; don't use it.

According to the datasheet SgtWookie provided, the recommended input to the regulator is 4.5 to 5.5 volts with an absolute maximum of 8 volts. The output current is limited at 800ma; thus, even though USB voltage might serve as an input to the regulator, the 500ma of current on a USB line would be insufficient.

What is the brand and model number of the amplifier?

Last edited:

dilip_microwave

Joined Aug 21, 2011
Details on the amplifier are quite limited. But The information below is what I pulled from the ebay listing. My particular amplifier is for the 2 watt version. The power for the amplifier below shows 5 to 7Volts working voltage so im unsure what I should try. Next.

This link below shows a similar amp and it shows the circuit board.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2w-WIFI-8...=300361622221&ps=63&clkid=2222353253250259104

Again very much for your help.

• Operating range : 2400-2500MHz
  • Operating mode : Bi-directional, half-duplex Time Division Duplex Senses RF carrier from Transmitter and automatically switches receive to transmit mode
  • Connector Type: SMA Receptacle (50 ohm)
  • Transmit gain : 15dB
  • Optimal Input Power: 9~13 dBm
  • Receiver Gain: <12 dBm
  • Noise Figure: 3.5dB typical
  • Frequency Response: ± 1dB over operating range
  • Power Adaptor: 5~7V /DC 105~240V for AC Adapter
  • Operating Temperature: -20 to 70 °C
  • Operating Humidity: Up to 95% relative humidity
  • Material: Cast Aluminum
  • Package Weight: 560g
  • Dimension: 7.8cm(L) x 5.6cm(W) x 2.9cm(H)

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
Details on the amplifier are quite limited. But The information below is what I pulled from the ebay listing. My particular amplifier is for the 2 watt version. The power for the amplifier below shows 5 to 7Volts working voltage so im unsure what I should try. Next.
If the seller furnished the wrong voltage power supply, he/she should replace the amplifier and power supply with a new one under the terms of the 12 month warranty. If you can't/don't want to get a replacement, then you will have to repair the one you have either by finding and replacing the damaged component(s) on the PCB, or by building/buying an outboard 3.3v supply and wire it into the PCB. Neither of those repair options would appeal to me. If the damage was caused by the seller, I would send it back for a replacement under warranty.

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

Do you have a licence to use the high power amplifier for the wfi ?

The FCC states that the EIRP may not be greater as 1 Watt:

A typical indoor WLAN consists of enough access points to cover the facility to enable wireless mobility for users. Radio NICs in user devices and access points generally have omni-directional antennas that propagate RF energy in most directions, which maximizes connectivity for mobile applications. When using omni-directional antennas having less than 6 dB gain in this scenario, the FCC rules require EIRP to be 1 watt (1,000 milliwatts) or less.

In most cases, you'll be within regulations using omni-directional antennas supplied by the vendor of your radio NICs and access points. For example, you can set the transmit power in an 802.11b access point or client to its highest level (generally 100 milliwatts) and use a typical 3 dB omni-directional antenna. This combination results in only 200 milliwatts EIRP, which is well within FCC regulations.
This is a quote from this page:
http://www.wi-fiplanet.com/tutorials/article.php/1428941

Bertus

dilip_microwave

Joined Aug 21, 2011
I am currently in dispute with the seller over this issue. But i'm hoping I can get a refund but also fix the amplifier.

Could you guys give me a little insight into bridging the regulator ? I can easily get an external supply but bridging it may be a little more difficult.

I am unsure if its safe to bridge without uncoupling the external support resistors for capacitors that regulator may use.

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Well, why don't you trace out the circuit, and post it so that we can see how it is current ly wired up? Without that, all we can do is guess. Guessing = smoking parts.

dilip_microwave

Joined Aug 21, 2011
Hi,
thank you all for your replies. I have attached a picture. I will do my best to describe it

To the left of U2 is where the regulator AEF02 was soldered.

To the far bottom right of circuit board is where the DC power supply comes in.

I believe it would be a simple matter of bridging the far right connector to the middle pin where the regulator was once soldered. Once i have the 3.3Volt connected.

Attachments

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Well, the pads for U2 definitely need to be cleaned up. If you have some solder wick and a bit of liquid rosin flux, that should do nicely.

If you have some tin/lead solder, you will probably find that it will be easier to de-solder it if you add some tin/lead solder first, as much of the lead-free stuff needs to be heated quite a bit more to melt. Adding the tin/lead solder beforehand brings the melting temp down.

From the datasheet and what I can see of the board, the input pin was on the left, and the output on the right.

However, there is something that might be another regulator; U17. You need to find the datasheet for that and make sure.