Replacing a Rotary encoder with switches

lubnaan90

Joined Jan 13, 2010
Hello to all,

I have a Panasonic music system, It has a volume control which uses a Rotary encoder to decrease or increase the volumes, Rotary encoder just like the one i have attached in this post.

My question is that, is there any possible way to simply replace this encoder with two push switches? One switch for volume up and the other for volume down.

Any Help, Comments or advises will be deeply appreciated.

Best Regards.
Lubnaan90

Attachments

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
Depending upon how the switch decoder circuit works you may be able to just connect a switch to each of the decoder outputs with the switches' common going to the encoder common. You can try it to see if it works.

If not you should be able to generate the quadrature switch output sequence with a couple of flip-flops. One switch would generate the clockwise sequence and the other switch would generate the counter-clockwise sequence.

lubnaan90

Joined Jan 13, 2010
Why do you say that?:confused: It's certainly possible to simulate a rotary encoder output with two switches and a couple of flip-flops, if needed.
I think your information is correct, even i was thinking about the same type of scheme as mentioned by you above.

lubnaan90

Joined Jan 13, 2010
It just won't work.
I do not understand why u would want that.
Rotary's are far easier to use.
Yes i Know That rotary's are easier to use, but due to the Humid condition here in my city, the encoders keep malfunctioning every year, this is the 4th time it malfunctioned, I am just tired of replacing the Encoder Switch every year:mad::mad::mad:

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
Why do you say that?:confused: It's certainly possible to simulate a rotary encoder output with two switches and a couple of flip-flops, if needed.
Just switches u know. together with FF it can be done.
Yes i Know That rotary's are easier to use, but due to the Humid condition here in my city, the encoders keep malfunctioning every year, this is the 4th time it malfunctioned, I am just tired of replacing the Encoder Switch every year:mad::mad::mad:
U just need to clean the friggin thing Lubnaan. U do not need to replace it.
Clean it and use DVD or CD mechanism grease in it and it will last far longer than new one.

I believe there is a thread in AAC where I guided one member to clean it.
I wish a mod would give u a link to it.

Last edited:

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Which witch is which you talkin' about? I thought this thread was about switches. The zombies are out already?
(You have halloween in the Maldives too?)