replacement for CA3140 Op-Amp

EDDY

Joined Mar 19, 2008
I am working on a project which requires a CA3140 Op-Amp but I can't get one from my area so could you please suggest any other types of Op-Amp which can convieniently be used in place of the CA3140 Op-Amp. Thank you

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
If the project needs the strobe pin to control the output, then you may be out of luck.

Otherwise, just about any FET input op amp will do as a sub. An OP07GP, for instance. You might indicate what characteristic of a 25 year old op amp is significant for a better suggestion. If you know what that is, you can go to sites and search by parameters.

Jameco and Mouser still have CA3140's in their catalogs.

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
In addition to beenthere's suggestion, Mouser's search engine will help you to find op amps that have properties that are similar.

Linear Technology's website is also quite helpful in that regards.

Analog Devices has an online circuit simulation program to help you choose a suitable op amp.

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
With the exception that the input impedance is 10^10th, vice 200K. And pin 8 is an output strobe. Hard to come up with a sub without knowing what the 3140 was doing.

rwmoekoe

Joined Mar 1, 2007
hi folks.

ca3140 is best known for its rail to rail capability. both for the inputs and outputs. its mosfet (not j-fet) input and output stage is a characteristic too.

so we have to find an opamp with rail to rail input common mode range, and
mosfet output to be able to drive output rail to rail too.