Replace TB6560 with Another chip in this circuit ?

HommerSimpson

Joined Jun 9, 2011
Id like to use this circuit because i have a board with all the components but the TB6560's are junk .. is there another chip i can replace it with that's better ?
thanks
Greg

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
I beg your pardon; the TB6560 series are not junk - however they ARE quite sensitive to overloads, and you absolutely must have them properly heat-sinked before you even apply power just to test them. When they give absolute maximums in the specifications, they really mean absolute maximums - if you exceed those maximums even for a microsecond, you will wind up with a useless miniature slag heap.

One "gotcha" would be the type of diodes that you are using from the OUT pins to GND. You might be tempted to use something like 1N540x diodes, as the 3A rating is close to the TB6560's 3.5A maximum rating; however the 1N540x series diodes are VERY slow - far too slow for this application.

HommerSimpson

Joined Jun 9, 2011
I don't see how that answered my Question.. And I looked for good info on this chip.. and I cant find anything but people having issues.. yea.. junk.. is what i came up with..

BSomer

Joined Dec 28, 2011
Have you tried building the circuit?
If so, what kind of problems are you experiencing?
What kind of info are you looking for that is not in the datasheet?

HommerSimpson

Joined Jun 9, 2011
No I am looking for a driver I can build that will be dependable and not go up in smoke like i have read about the TB6560 and what happen to my ebay 5 axis board.. that went up in smoke just pluging power into it. So im just simply asking if there is a chip i can replace the tb6560 with..

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
I presume you didn't notice the member category under SgtWookie's name.
There is only one Expert on this site.

If SgtWookie's response does not suit you then I doubt if you will get a better answer from anyone else.

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
I have to say. That The TB6560 is a very delicate ic. The power supply must be very well filtered, and a fast fuse on the power supply line must be used. And also as metioned. It need good heat sinks. Since you smoked your board by just pluggin in power. I have a feeling you did not follow the proper power on sequence. Take a look at this document
http://www.semicon.toshiba.co.jp/docs/application_note/en/TB6560AHQ-ANE_en_090324.pdf

HommerSimpson

Joined Jun 9, 2011
Yes I saw that under his name. I meant no offence to him or the chip.. Just everything I ran across after I fried this board told me to stay away from the these all in one boards with these chips on them. But now here is the real Problem. The vender sent me Another board. So Im printing out the paperwork on powering up this board now.. and will read it and go from there. But Im still lost as to why someone would design a board that just applying power to it would fry it.. I have a 24 volt 15A ps putting out 24.1 volt..I have an Inline fuse..going to board.. now..Is there something I should do to this board to keep it from blowing ? I see some other threads on CNCZONE that deal with this board and how to fix and will read up more on that.. Figured Id post in here and ask for more Advice.. if i can.. lol

boldford

Joined Aug 20, 2012
Whilst the THB6064 seems to be a great chip I'm of the view the TB6560 can give excellent service if only circuit designers would read and respect its application notes. To suggest the chip is junk is insulting to the well respected manufacturer. The vast majority of inexpensive boards sold on Internet auction sites derive the logic 5v from the motor voltage which results in the power-up sequence being completely wrong.

Last edited: