Repair of loudspeakers

DER

Joined Feb 13, 2014
Hello to all forumites! I am engaged in repair of loudspeakers and I want to communicate with you and to exchange knowledge.
In this subject, I suggest to discuss repair of all types of loudspeakers. Choice of materials, equipment list, and choice of repair parts of loudspeaker.

DER

Joined Feb 13, 2014
Repair 18" from EAW, the copy Eighteen sounds 18LW1400.
Here what took in ремон, someone to me it already rewound the sound coil. (Not good idea to use a paper framework).

DER

Joined Feb 13, 2014
Data of "my" coil.
Outside/inside winding
Kapton 0,12mm framework
Diameter 100,2mm
Winding height 24mm
Diameter of a wire 0,355mm
Diameter of a wire with isolation 0,38mm
Active resistance 6,4Ohm

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
One Question ?
Will it hold when the speaker is in use.

You'll never know until you do.

Do post back the results

DER

Joined Feb 13, 2014
Yes of course, the speaker works, to work in a loud-hailer from Cerwin vega. After that I took three more pieces on repair of the same loudspeakers.

DER

Joined Feb 13, 2014
Here ready result. Appearance isn't much "shabby". It was possible to paint laying, but time was a little, I left as is.

DER

Joined Feb 13, 2014
Here yet big photoreport. Quality of photos the bad. (It is shot long ago with the mobile phone)
Loudspeaker 100GDN-3 (12" / 8Ohm/100W)

Here so factory voice coil looked

Then I reeled up the new voice coil and tried on it in cone.

Assembled

On closer

Then it looked here so, without dust cap.

The finished result.

I made a framework not heat-conducting, and owing to it made in it openings. For the best cooling.

THE_RB

Joined Feb 11, 2008
Awesome thread! Thanks for posting your techniques. :)

You obviously have a good coil winder that is a big part of your success, can you give more details on it or post a photo of it?

DER

Joined Feb 13, 2014
Thanks, I am very glad that my diligence are pleasant to someone. I am even more glad that it was useful to someone and was useful.

I am engaged in repair of loudspeakers, from the high school, with far 2001. I had then no computer, and moreover the Internet where I could learn and broaden something the horizons and knowledge. Therefore my way was long and difficult with tamping of cones and acquisition of "invaluable" experience.

I have the main work where I assemble solar panels of batteries for space satellites (but it only work).

But dynamic heads are my passion, I rave them, they at me in blood. It can seem nonsense, but I can't without them I 24 hours per day think of them. Mysleno I twist them almost everything in the head of JBL, Electro voice, RCF, Altec... and so indefinitely.

DER

Joined Feb 13, 2014
For voice coil framework I use an aluminum foil, a copper foil, Kapton, paper, fiber glass fabric and sometimes Nomex.

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
Any glue.
What are you using to hold the coil to bobbin.

I am asking cause in high power ones the voice will come off if they are not glued.

The ones I made before did came off when the darn thing played at full power.

for 100W it may not be an issue but at 400W +, it will come off.
You can see that in the originals that you wound

DER

Joined Feb 13, 2014
I have some glues, each glue for each type of a framework. It is impossible to use one glue on all types coil frameworks. Because on one it keeps on others isn't present. Therefore not many different glues.
To me would be very interestingly what glue (or a type of glue) use on production of dynamic heads, such as JBL or Electro voice.
That glue which I use is on an epoxy basis and holds temperature according to the passport of 250 degrees Celsius.