repair electric heater

kaneneville

Joined Mar 7, 2009
Hi I am trying to repair my electric heater.
I found this unknown component(which looks like a resistor with a blue stripe) is not conducting. This component is connected between the switch and the hot wire. Is it a fuse?
Does anyone know what this is?

Attachments

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
It may be a thermal protector that has opened up because there was excessive heat in the unit. If so, then the heater has other problems.

kaneneville

Joined Mar 7, 2009
It may be a thermal protector that has opened up because there was excessive heat in the unit. If so, then the heater has other problems.
so is it supposed to be conducting at low temperature? I just measure the resistance and basically it has infinity resistance. I think it might burn out. You are right it might has other overheat problems.

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
That is a thermal fuse. Inside it has a material that melts at xxx temp, breaking the power connection, it doesn't reset. The temp is usually marked on the outside of the case. The ones with a blue stripe seem to be 128ºC (262.4 ºF ) fuses.

You can order a replacement. Reason for them failing is often a lack of circulation. If it is a forced air type heater, make sure the fan blades and motor aren't clogged with dust, and the fan spins freely.

If the entire heater got that hot, the oil in the sintered bearings on the motor will have evaporated, rendering the fan sort of useless.

K3CFC

Joined Dec 4, 2012
Hi I am trying to repair my electric heater.
I found this unknown component(which looks like a resistor with a blue stripe) is not conducting. This component is connected between the switch and the hot wire. Is it a fuse?
Does anyone know what this is?
It is a thermal overload. clothes dryers have the same thing. replace it with a blue stripe and if it blows again look for a problem. just do not bypass it.