Remove Thread

Dollarday

Joined Jan 25, 2012
Hi there,

I would like to know, if you made a made a typo or accidentally submitted a thread before you actually finished typing it, is there a way to remove it once someone replied to it?

Also, is there a way to remove posts you've made?

Regards,
Dollarday

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
You can edit your own posts if you have a post count of at least 10, as it appears in the top right of you posts. Offtopic posts don't count towards that sum.

You cannot delete your threads and posts. This can be done only by the moderators. Removing posts and threads is highly discouraged and is only performed under special circumstances or to combat spam and member-to-member insults.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
In some forums I've been on you only have a limited window in which to edit your own posts. The reasoning is that once it has been there a while and people have responded to it, then edits reduce the ability to follow the discussion since the responses are referring to material that is no longer the same as it was. I've encountered those problems here a number of times. I don't have a good solution, because it's nice to be able to go back and correct typos and grammar problems. One forum I saw (was not a member and I don't think it was powered by vBulletin) had a feature where you could turn on the edit history and see stuff that had been added/removed since the post was created. Something like that would be nice. Here, as near as I can tell, the "last edited" flag at the bottom only appears if you edit the post after someone else has viewed it (or if you fill in the "reason for editing" box).

Since a forum is database driven, it actually wouldn't be too hard to have a link on each post that would permit a user to revert a thread to the condition it was in when that post was made. There could still be the option for moderators to permanently remove/suppress offensive stuff or spam, perhaps with a simple "moderator censored" flag appearing where the deleted stuff was just so that the reader would be clued in that the response they are reading might have been in reference to stuff that was later removed by a moderator.

I think those features would be useful and probably pretty doable for someone that wanted to dig into the vBulletin code (depending on how edited posts are stored in the database), but it would probably not be a trivial undertaking. Might be a good project of a computer science course or perhaps even a senior design project.

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
The moderators can already view and compare previous versions of posts, by clicking the "last edited" field. It's just not available to the members.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Ah. Out of curiosity - is it not available to members period, or is it a configuration option where the admins decide who does and doesn't have that ability?