Remove seal after washing, What the????

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
I order a small amount of those piezoelectric buzzers from China. They all have stickers on top of them that say "Remove seal after washing" .

What on earth does this seal mean? Why would I want to wash my buzzer? :)

Attachments

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Thanks Mr Chips. Better than the answer I thought of. I forgot that a lot of modern fluxes can be cleaned off with water.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Funny, but I was documenting one for a PCB project I'm doing, as well as drawing it up for Paint CAD.

You missed an obvious part, the polarity of the buzzer is on that label, not in the plastic. I may scratch it in myself on my part.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Another "Thanks". I couldn't see the polarity marking in the photo. It seems to be hiding under the orange wire.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Funny, but I was documenting one for a PCB project I'm doing, as well as drawing it up for Paint CAD.

You missed an obvious part, the polarity of the buzzer is on that label, not in the plastic. I may scratch it in myself on my part.

Yeah I noticed it. Probably more useful for the buzzer itself to be marked but I guess as long as you don't remove it till after install it would be ok.

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
Doesn't everyone wash the flux off their buzzers after inserting?
Um, this thread is going off-topic, talking about "pron".
I have been using solder with flux in it for many years. The inserter I was born with has never been covered with flux but I always wash it after it has been inserted.
The "didlow" buzzers used by some women also have never been covered with flux but they also always wash the buzzer after it has been inserted.;)

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Made another interesting discovery about this component. It is not symmetrical. The + lead is both longer (similar to a LED) and the + lead is further from the wall of the package. The + lead is 0.150" from the wall, while the - lead is 0.100" from the wall.

So you can identify polarity even after the seal is removed. Makes a slight difference in laying the PCB out.

dataman19

Joined Dec 26, 2009
I think you are "all" over looking some thimg....
Maybe the Chinese wash their components before they solder them?
Maybe they insert them after washing to be sure there aren't any stray chemmie ( I mean chemicals).
From what I have seen lately, I tend to believe that they never go through the trouble of properly cleaning boards (which is why I see tons of solder residue traces on boards we get from Chinacon).
So They would want to remove the seal after washing and before inserting - otherwise they would have a lower reject rate, and everyone knows "Chinese Labor Organizers - "are" pushing for more labor tasks....
Dave
Phoenix, AZ