Remove HDMI AUDIO?

Josh Kaufman

Joined Aug 24, 2016
I wish to remove the audio properties of my HDMI display cables.
Is there a way to do this by making an adapter that cuts out certain pins?

The problem:
I'm having problems with Audio being diverted to my monitors instead of the desired audio device.
(Windows 10 has a tendency to re-route Audio to a newly plugged in device. This has been a problem for my system.)

Solutions I've tried:
Software:
I've already tried the Software solution of disabling all audio sources, however when Windows updates mysteriously these audio sources get re-enabled!
I've searched this topic and found a few places where people wanted to extract the Audio from HDMI.
(SPDIF- so perhaps there is a way to omit the Audio?)

DVI output:
Since DVI does not carry audio, a DVI to HDMI cable is safe from this behavior.
(Windows does not even recognize the display as a potential audio device)
Using DVI outputs from the graphics card and HDMI adapters would solve the problem, however I don't have enough.

Here is the pinout of HDMI from Wikipedia:

Compared with the pinout of DVI:
(Single link pins circled)

If you count the flat pin, This seems to be a 19pin to 19pin direct connection.
But I didn't think HDMI and DVI used the same standard.

Does anyone know of a way to disable only the pins responsible for Audio?

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
This is a software problem and I wouldn’t waste time on a hardware solution. If you can’t find a Windows expert to solve this, I bet there are 3rd party apps that will give you better control over which ports you want to use. It’s frankly ridiculous that you’re having to fight with this but it’s due to Windows trying to “help” you.

Josh Kaufman

Joined Aug 24, 2016
This is a software problem and I wouldn’t waste time on a hardware solution. If you can’t find a Windows expert to solve this, I bet there are 3rd party apps that will give you better control over which ports you want to use. It’s frankly ridiculous that you’re having to fight with this but it’s due to Windows trying to “help” you.
Yeah, I think you are right. I'll have to find a way to keep audio away from the monitors that does not involve methods I've already tried.

Funny I mute my volume in Windows and it remains muted.
I'm not having any trouble with that, If I wanted no audio it would be easy.
I want audio that goes to the correct place every time.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
The problem:
I'm having problems with Audio being diverted to my monitors instead of the desired audio device.
(Windows 10 has a tendency to re-route Audio to a newly plugged in device. This has been a problem for my system.)
This is a "feature" of HDMI with the premise that you wouldn't turn-on or plug-in a new HDMI device if you didn't want to use it. So, most HDMI switching devices (receiver, HDMI hub) will automatically make the new device the source.

If I turn on my Blu-ray, my receiver will automatically select the Blu-ray as the source.

If I push the activate button on my Kindle Firestick, that becomes the source.

Dodgydave

Joined Jun 22, 2012
Yeah, I think you are right. I'll have to find a way to keep audio away from the monitors that does not involve methods I've already tried.

I'm not having any trouble with that, If I wanted no audio it would be easy.
I want audio that goes to the correct place every time.
How about an Hdmi audio extactor, just put the audio L/R to the device you need, and mute the monitors.

https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/HDMI-to-HD...?_trksid=p2141725.m3641.l6368&epid=1087902509

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
This is a "feature" of HDMI with the premise that you wouldn't turn-on or plug-in a new HDMI device if you didn't want to use it. So, most HDMI switching devices (receiver, HDMI hub) will automatically make the new device the source.

If I turn on my Blu-ray, my receiver will automatically select the Blu-ray as the source.

If I push the activate button on my Kindle Firestick, that becomes the source.
And yes it can be an annoying feature..
I just got a soundbar and when the HDMI source device is on I cannot switch to any other source.. It just keeps switching right back to HDMI..
I need to turn the device off to allow me to get the audio from the optical source..

I just need to go optical for both I guess and get an optical splitter.. I wasn't expecting to need that but oh well..

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
FWIW, any decent AV receiver would allow you to set up any combination of audio and video inputs going to any outputs. Well, except for HD content control that prevents analog output (except speaker signals) from a protected digital source.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
FWIW, any decent AV receiver would allow you to set up any combination of audio and video inputs going to any outputs. Well, except for HD content control that prevents analog output (except speaker signals) from a protected digital source.
You can set up any combination you want but, "set up" and "maintain" are two different things. You can set up which HDMI Source is the default input but, as soon as a new source is introduced (a new device is turned on), it becomes the active source.

I have not seen a toggle, "do not switch to new HDMI sources" as an option on any of the HDMI-based receivers I have set up.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
You can set up any combination you want but, "set up" and "maintain" are two different things. You can set up which HDMI Source is the default input but, as soon as a new source is introduced (a new device is turned on), it becomes the active source.

I have not seen a toggle, "do not switch to new HDMI sources" as an option on any of the HDMI-based receivers I have set up.
Huh, my Yamaha has defined setups where you can strictly define the inputs and outputs. For instance I have setups for "Watch a BD" or "Watch TV". In those settings, choosing "Auto" would allow the input switching but if I tell it to use a specific port, it will, no matter what.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Huh, my Yamaha has defined setups where you can strictly define the inputs and outputs. For instance I have setups for "Watch a BD" or "Watch TV". In those settings, choosing "Auto" would allow the input switching but if I tell it to use a specific port, it will, no matter what.
Mine will too. But you haven't explored the situation where,
1) your Yamaha receiver is turned on to the default setup with all other HDMI devices turned off (I.e. they are plugged in to power but in standby/off mode).
2) you turn on a new device (take it out of standby mode) without selecting that device on your receiver)

The receiver should automatically switch the receiver to select the input for that newly powered device.

If you always turn on / off all of your devices at the same time, you will never notice this feature of HDMI.

Josh Kaufman

Joined Aug 24, 2016
Mine will too. But you haven't explored the situation where,
1) your Yamaha receiver is turned on to the default setup with all other HDMI devices turned off (I.e. they are plugged in to power but in standby/off mode).
2) you turn on a new device (take it out of standby mode) without selecting that device on your receiver)

The receiver should automatically switch the receiver to select the input for that newly powered device.

If you always turn on / off all of your devices at the same time, you will never notice this feature of HDMI.
I should mention that the designated audio device is a mixer attached via USB.
And since it's connected to a PA system it has it's own ON/OFF switch.
This is for a Church, and I've instructed the operators to always turn the power on to the audio before the PC boots
(so that the PC has an available audio source)
I suspect that at least some of the time this problem may be due to a PC booted with no available audio source (perhaps)
The bigger problem is that a re-boot and correct startup procedure does NOT fix the issue.

Wow, I didn't even know this existed!
Way over my budget, but what is the typical purpose for these devices?
It seems like they separate the Audio so as to capture it.