remote switch

miket/nc

Joined Sep 4, 2011
I'm trying to rig up a remote control switch to turn on/off a light bulb from a distance of about 1/4 mile. Any suggestions? Thanks

Joined Nov 30, 2010
I think what Riffa is getting at is that a laser pointer could work at a quarter mile. It's been done before.

miket/nc

Joined Sep 4, 2011
Sometimes there will be obstructions in the way. Trees , bushes and the like. I'm electronically challenged so you'll have to tell me what IR and RF mean and how that would apply here.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
RF means radio frequency. If there are obstructions, transmitting in the RF range will get you where you want to go. Now to find a radio transmitter that works at 1/4 mile and a receiver to receive the signal, and no, that's not amateur stuff. Best bet is to find something in the retail market.

ElectroDFW

Joined Sep 2, 2011
Regarding the retail market, I would suggest either an FRS two way radio pair, if you keep one on and plugged in at the home, and carry the other with yuo as the remote. Get the kind with privacy coding to avoid false triggers. plug the lamp into "The Clapper" and position the radio by it. hit "talk" on your remote walkie and send a couple of sounds, or just rely on the 'roger beeps'
Keep the components in an insulated shoebox and you can avoid false house sounds triggering it. **Observe fire safety precautions foremost**

The other method is similar, but involves either a prepaid cellphone or pager; where your normal cell is the only call the other can receive. Again, the ringing can activate the lamp. And, has the advantage to being able to activate almost anywhere, not just .25mi

Regards,
--Electro--
aka The Other David