Remote switch electric fence

Sika

Joined Oct 13, 2012
Hi All, I am hoping for a solution to my problem involving the use of electric fences on my farm to control stock. I am looking for a remote control switch that I can place at the end of the portable fence where it connects to the permanent fence for power. I then want to be able to remotely turn off the switch so I can work on the fence without walking backwards and forwards to disconnect the fence at power source and then remotely turn fence back on. I have no electronic or electric background and have looked at some available switches but I am not sure of voltages etc. I hope I have been clear enough in my description of what I am looking for and any advise would be much appreciated.
Thanx
Sika

KMoffett

Joined Dec 19, 2007
What remote distances are you talking about?
Is the configuration: controller > permanent fence wire > portable fence wire?
Do you want to cut the power to the controller, or break the connection between the permanent and portable wire?

Ken

Sika

Joined Oct 13, 2012
Thanks Ken, Distance would be Max 100 Meters. Yes that is the configuration of the fences. I just want to cut the power at the connection between the permanent and portable fence. Often the portable fences have breaks in the ribbon and I am trying to get a system whereby I can turn the portable off so I can fix the break and then turn it back on without walking back to disconnect portable from permanent fence. Getting old I guess!

bladerunner

Joined Apr 15, 2012
I have tried just about everything close (within sight) and far (1 mile away) and only one thing works well enough to enable me to work on the fence.

Of course I had to reconfigure my fence line but this is not too hard.

First, connect your grounding port of your electric fence box directly to the fence. I run one wire -- usually second or third from the bottom as a ground. In turn, every metal fence post it connects acts as a ground rod.

Once you do this, you can use a simple jumper wire between you and you problem. connect the ground wire first and then the any hot wire. do your work and then un-connect the jumpers in exact reverse or the fence will tell you, you did something wrong.

When everything seems to be the darkest, there is always a way out.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
K.I.S.S. :)

I like that idea. Fence controller won't be damaged by pulsing into a direct short to ground. But it will pull the voltage to ground. Just make sure that in the course of making your repairs you don't sever the wire upstream of where you've grounded it or else it won't be grounded anymore and you'll be holding it.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
Note that the switch has to control high voltage, likely in the neighborhood of several kV, so you need a HV relay, however you control it.

bladerunner

Joined Apr 15, 2012
Here I have several miles of fence. I use simple knife switches when trying to find a fault. I place these between each pasture. When I have a fault, I trace it down by going to the first knife switch, open it and check the voltage on the fence. If there is no difference than before, I close the knife switch and go to the next one and repeat this step. It is important that you have connected you charger so the fence current runs from A to B to C not A,C to B (circle).

A-->------------B
|
|
|
C--<-------------

A -->------------B
|
|
|
C------------>---B