Remote operated actuator

badger8v

Joined Jan 3, 2014
Hoping to operate a sliding door (indoor) with a remote control system using a 24volt actuator with a 750mm stroke.
http://www.ps-log.si/dokumenti/TOPP/TOPP_SL60_ENG.pdf

But what to some will be an easy project I have very little knowledge of relays etc. So if you could take this into account with the answers.
I am about to order a 50w 2 amp 24volt transformer but this as far as it goes.
Here's hopin

inwo

Joined Nov 7, 2013
Hold off on that order until you get some suggestions.

I'm looking for input power specs now.

It may make more sense to start with a dc supply and off the shelf controls, unless this is a hobby project and you want the fun of building from scratch. IMO

inwo

Joined Nov 7, 2013
Looks like 1.5 amp fl.

Micro end switches.

Are you looking for handheld type pushbutton?
One button to open and another to close?
One button for open and close?

Have you got the mechanics figured out?
Safe linkage, clutch, or other protection.

inwo

Joined Nov 7, 2013
Bosch style automotive relays are good candidates for F & R relays.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/CAR-AUTO-AU...Parts_Accessories&hash=item460eedd994&vxp=mtr

The transformer you mentioned should be fine if there are no other electronics.

In addition you will need:
Bridge rectifer
2 SPDT relays
Remote control of your choice. I linked to some simple ones in another thread.

ps.
Similar to this ok? This is not the exact one you need.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/260607595182?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

badger8v

Joined Jan 3, 2014
my plan is something that can open the internal aluminium sliding door into the kitchen as I enter the garden before opening the main entrance. It has no real practical use but with the actuator I could put a useful seal on the door edge and also restricting entry into the room unless in charge of a remote. And it will amaze my technophobic family with electric trickery magic!!!!!
Just operated the actuator with my laptop transformer and it seems it will need constant current until full extention at which point it cuts out with an internal micro switch.

badger8v

Joined Jan 3, 2014
Looks like 1.5 amp fl.

Micro end switches.

Are you looking for handheld type pushbutton?
One button to open and another to close?
One button for open and close?

Have you got the mechanics figured out?
Safe linkage, clutch, or other protection.
Hoping for something along the lines of an open/close remote fob similar to a garage door open/close system.

inwo

Joined Nov 7, 2013
my plan is something that can open the internal aluminium sliding door into the kitchen as I enter the garden before opening the main entrance. It has no real practical use but with the actuator I could put a useful seal on the door edge and also restricting entry into the room unless in charge of a remote. And it will amaze my technophobic family with electric trickery magic!!!!!
Just operated the actuator with my laptop transformer and it seems it will need constant current until full extention at which point it cuts out with an internal micro switch.

First off, safety is very important.
There must be thought given to unintended operation and what might happen if something(one) got caught in the mechanism.

Can I assume that the end switches are adjustable and accurate enough for your application?

The safest way is to use momentary button control within sight of the door.

That is not as impressive as automatic control.

Try to explain in detail exactly how it should operate. ie.
After a power interruption must door close? Open? Stay the same (even mid stroke)

The simplest way I can think of doing it is with a toggle control using a single button.

With that method:
Door would always return "home" after power reset.
With one button press door would open all the way.
Or if open, close all the way.

The reason it's simple, is that it requires no memory or latches.

Once some others jump in, there will be a hundred solutions, and you will have to sort it out.

These are my first thoughts, and may change by tomorrow.:)

inwo

Joined Nov 7, 2013
Hoping for something along the lines of an open/close remote fob similar to a garage door open/close system.
That would use two buttons?

Works same as previous explanation. But 1 open button and 1 for close.

It will still simplify the design if door returns to a "home" position after power reset.

Then actuator limit switches can be used as wired. No timers or latched relays needed.

One control relay will always be on with power to motor interrupted by the internal "end of stroke" switches.

Key fob control will simply switch the other relay on.

This is a 24 volt version of one that I've used.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/24V-2-Chann...ion_Controls_Touchscreens&hash=item2a2e426416

With the 10amp relay rating it should work as is.

ps.
Now you're needing dc supply..................

Last edited:

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
For safety, shouldn't there be a current sensing circuit or other sensor to ensure no object including person or pet, is caught in the doorway?

Just thinking out loud.

Last edited:

inwo

Joined Nov 7, 2013
For safety, shouldn't there be a current sensing circuit or other sensor to ensure no object including person or pet, is caught in the doorway?

Just thinking out loud.
I'm hoping that is done mechanically by op.
Hence my previous warnings.
If not, just a large current limit resistor would be in order. Or possible run on lower voltage.

Either derived experimentally.

badger8v

Joined Jan 3, 2014
the Idea is to only have two operating fobs, one for me and one for the wife.
The door will have various uses, for ventilation the door will need to be held open for example when cooking and for insulation to hold the door firmly closed.
It will only need to be fully open or fully closed.
As there are no small children in the house I am not worried of the health and safety aspect.
I have a fused spur feed (240v) already in place.

inwo

Joined Nov 7, 2013
With this control.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/24V-2-Chann...ion_Controls_Touchscreens&hash=item2a2e426416

Connected
Mutual lock​
Press A A-ON,Press B B-ON A-OFF​

Door will open with one button, close with the other. Using the built in relays.

Only other thing you need is 24VDC power supply @ about 2 amps.
Or battery supply.

You would have to contact seller for additional key fobs.

How do you plan on doing the linkage to prevent this from being a guillotine?

badger8v

Joined Jan 3, 2014
[/FONT]
How do you plan on doing the linkage to prevent this from being a guillotine? [/QUOTE]

This is why I joined this site to pick bigger brains than I.

I have a limited understanding of auto electrics and mains home wiring but that is my lot.

maybe a pot adjustable inline trip switch of some sort as the actuator itself is quite powerful.

badger8v

Joined Jan 3, 2014
going to bed now as it is 2,20 am:eek: Work in 4 hours. Thanks for all your input. Contacted the seller about the spare remote fob So just some type of cut out system to stop the door from cutting the dog in two.

inwo

Joined Nov 7, 2013
There are ways to limit the current and thus the power.

Using springs or rubber bands as linkage is one way.
Shear pins or friction clutch another.

The door can be biased closed with spring or gravity. Then pulled open with another spring.

It might be best to mount the actuator and experiment with different voltages or current levels before you by a power supply.

Using the rated 24vdc supply will keep the no load speed up but still limit max power.

10 ohms at 50 watts might be a good start if actuator is lightly loaded.

inwo

Joined Nov 7, 2013
A swing down stairway I designed, is pulled up with a "winch" thru a pulley on the movable part.

The "dead" end of the cable is attached to a spring.

If the spring tension is off either direction it stops motion.

That way if the stairs stick coming down the cable will stop unspooling to prevent a crash.

Or a jam going up prevents cable snapping.

It is also current limited by the 4 quadrant drive.

I can picture a linear actuator mounted on springs to limit lateral movement.
Limit switches would be triggered by spring compression or extension.

Last edited:

inwo

Joined Nov 7, 2013

Just thinking out loud.
Doodling.....................
Reverses and latches with overload forward direction only. (J1= -)
Power cycle reset.

Attachments

badger8v

Joined Jan 3, 2014
Thanks a bunch for the help so far.
Waiting on the delivery of the transformer and remote via ebay, the extra remote was under $4.
Will update post as and when.
Only wish I could understand your diagram but I struggle with colour coded auto wiring.