Remote controlled Wings? Newb needs help!

darklady5

Joined May 1, 2014
So uh...my understanding of electronics is minimal at best, but I'm fairly good at picking things up...kinda...

What I need to create is a pair of wings attatched to a backpack like structure, controlled by a small remote in the wrist with a few buttons to do minimal things. Basically move the wings together in four directions. One is the tips guiding the rotation up and out in a traditional extension, one being back in, one taking the entire wings and bringing them back so their backs touch, one bringing them back in. I can make a diagram if needed. It would need only four buttons to do so, and would move so long as the button is held but with a restriction where it will stop (so theres no accidents with overextending). One way I thought of accomplishing this was with fishing wire tightened and loosened in various ways by small two direction motors or something like that? Any and all ideas would be appreciated, especially cheaper options where i can, for example, get parts from small toys or cheap items. I'm not worried about the structure of the wing, just the actual mechanics of making it move and making a remote to make it move. I have no problem with wires as i can simply hide them with the sleeve, but if theres a wireless option it would be way better.

Please please please help! I would appreciate it so much!!!

THE_RB

Joined Feb 11, 2008
Well first... Someone has to say it...

You're not going to get off the ground! :eek:
;)

Hi and welcome to the forum. OK, assuming this is for a fancy dress costume or something?

You need to narrow down the operation. If you are not good with making mechanicals etc it might be best to stick with a one-axis movement. So the two wings flap together and you need just one motor to flap them. Usually done by a continuously rotating motor and a crank and rod.

You can even adjust the pivot angle to give a semi-circular movement of the wings instead of just back/forth movement.

If you decide to go for proper two-axis movement you will need two motors, two cranks, and some electronic or mechanical method to sync them. Obviously that's going to be a LOT more effort and higher risk of things going wrong at the party.

darklady5

Joined May 1, 2014
Well as for the costume, its not actually a dress... well its for two costumes really, but both require the same sort of wings.

http://images4.fanpop.com/image/photos/14700000/dark-krad-3-dn-angel-14733440-720-480.jpg

As for the narrowing down, the problem with the flapping motion is I want it to be able to stop in an extended form or curled form. The reason I included the curling back was more for the fact that there will be a crowd situation, but if it limits down to just the back/forth movement that should work if i can get them to curl in enough. It also doesn't need to extend too much, as this is generally the farthest outwards you see the wings extend.

http://images2.fanpop.com/image/photos/14500000/Krad-Dark-3-dn-angel-14555337-1024-768.jpg

So limiting to a slight back and forth, just enough to go from that image to something abit more tucked in then this, basically enough to curl against my back so I dont catch someone while walking through a doorway.

http://www.itamejihada.net/sketches/dnangel/dnangel/krad_sk.jpg

A single back and forth movement in a less singular way would probably cut the need for more options of movement if it goes in the right sort of arc. But the major thing I want to do is to be able to stop in options like full extension, partway, etc. I also have till November, so its quite a bit of time, nothing too immediate. My mum has a fair bit of mechanics background (with cars) but for reasons im reluctant to go to her for too much. She tends to overcomplicate the situation and complain, only to end up taking over the whole project which is a big problem both emotionally and when trying to take these in a costume contest :/

I get the idea (sort of) of motors and cranks, in fact with some fishing line and a couple motors i could probably get the motion down. Whats the struggle is the ability to sync the motions with the push of a button, and having a way to limit it so I dont accidently tighten a string too much, snap it and have limp wings for the rest of the weekend...

(Also thanks for the welcome. This site was by complete accident, but it seems to be my best bet so far if I have any hope of, pardon the pun, getting this piece "off the ground"~ Probably not the easiest direction by far to start when it comes to the mechanical electronic side of cosplay, but an exciting challenge nontheless!)
Edit: And yes, sadly there is no hope of flight..or maybe thankfully..I'm dreadfully terrified of heights~

Last edited:

darklady5

Joined May 1, 2014
I've also put abit more thought into the overall way this piece would fit into the costume, in the fact it would either be attached to the coat with a plank on the other side underneath the coat for stability, held stable by backpack like straps
Or!
The same idea with the plank attached to straps, but the wing bases slip through a hole in the coat and latch or slide into lockable slots in the plank.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Very interesting project. With no intention of being condescending it might be useful to know your age or grade school level.

This is not a simple task. Human-sized flapping wings will require substantial mechanical effort. You need to define the size and weight of the wings. Then you have to choose suitable mechanical actuators. Let's discuss that first before talking about the electronics and remote controller.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
You may want to research how wings have been attached and operated in the movie special effects industry. This project requires a lot of design work to define the set of motions you want, and then to solve all the various technical problems to implement those motions. A lot of these problems have likely been addressed before you. It would be wise to try to learn from prior art.

darklady5

Joined May 1, 2014
Alright wow...I didn't expect so many replies while I was finishing my reading~ So many thankyous for all your wonderful replies.

In answer to the first question posed, I am 21 years old and getting my last credit for my high school graduation (English...Essays...'fun'.)

I've done a bit of research, and as I've said before its less the motion of the wings (Though I remember the idea of using pnuematics and that being of interest) and more controlling the motion of the wings. Wiring is not something I've recieved instruction in before, and I really have no clue to begin understanding how to create a remote. The site offered was certainly interesting and instructive, but it pointedly leaves a lot of specifics out ESPECIALLY the electronic side of things and its control, thus the resource is only so helpful. However looking at the pnuematic wings that is definantly the direction I want to look in. If anyone could help me in more detailed manners to pull something like this together I'd be eternally greatful!

Alsy mgyver...I have no words except for a prominent LOL.

darklady5

Joined May 1, 2014
So following up with some searching on pnuematic wings has brought me to this:

http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-build-pneumatic-costume-wings/?ALLSTEPS

Its a very simple, useful tutorial that I think will get a nice simple effect that I'm looking for, just a nice open and closed I can -hopefully- stop midway, and isnt too pricy or overcomplicated. Course I'm starting from scratch knowledge-wise, so I'm not sure to what extent ill understand it all once i dive in but I think it should be pretty straight forward. Nevertheless I'll probably swing back here with questions~

Any tips, or additional clarifications you guys can throw at me looking at this, or even anything you think could be added to make this even better? One thing im taking is from the onyx wings site, the idea to replace the backpack with the idea of 'hard straps', so to minimize that shifting and adjusting and such.

I think once i get started I'll throw up a thread tracking progress in case anybody see's any tidbits to add to partway through or w/e :) Thanks for everyone thats contributed thus far!!